What's new
What's new

Anyi brand caliper question ??

mausli

Plastic
I am thinking about getting an Anyi digital caliper. Are they any good? How does the price and quality compare to say a Mitutoyo caliper.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Long Island Indicator's website:

Anyi digital calipers are made in Guilin, China (a picturesque landscape town in the South). Quality workmanship has arrived in China and these calipers are every bit as good as their European or Japanese equivalents. This new company started production in 2005 so it may be a while before you see these tools.

•Sales: not yet available
•Repairs: not yet available
•Parts: not yet available
•Information: contact the manufacturer via their website

http://longislandindicator.com/p11.html

Caliper

Here are two quotes you should consider when purchasing inexpensive metrology equipment.

"You get what you pay for"

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

From Long Island Indicator's website:

Anyi digital calipers are made in Guilin, China (a picturesque landscape town in the South). Quality workmanship has arrived in China and these calipers are every bit as good as their European or Japanese equivalents. This new company started production in 2005 so it may be a while before you see these tools.

•Sales: not yet available
•Repairs: not yet available
•Parts: not yet available
•Information: contact the manufacturer via their website

[url]http://longislandindicator.com/p11.html[/url]

Many thanks for that link ! It definitely gives one the information to choose wisely.

[edit] Just looked over the home page, it's goldmine !!

Insize is another Chinese company that recently started selling in the United States. A local distributer brought some of their tools over to demo them. They function and look very nice. But not sure how they will hold up long term. They are very much cheaper than say Starrett or Mitutoyo.

We did purchase a 300mm / 12" electronic caliper. So far it is holding up well.

One thing our distributer did say was that if the gage broke, it is more cost effective to replace it than it is to get it repaired. Thought I'd mention that.

Ken

I'm not saying Insize isn't good but given the choice I'd choose Anyi every time :)

Do you have a lot of experience with Insize Gordon? The cost of the Insize gages are very low compared to other name brand gages and we were wondering how well they would hold up over the long haul.

Thanks,
Ken

We actually have bought a 12"/300mm electronic caliper from Insize. We do our own calibration in-house and have checked it out. So far so good. Our only real concern is how they hold up over time. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

We are going to give it to one of our people back in the factory and let them try it out without telling them it is a Chinese gage. Unfortunately, most people do assume that anything coming from China is junk.

I have actually gotten to handle some of the other gages they sell and they all feel and look very nice. They kinda remind me of Mitutoyo is their design.

Thank you for the links and the other information.

I do all small tool calibrations for our company.
This includes micrometers , calipers, depth mics, I.D. mics, and indicators.
The insize, although it looks nice have, their flaws.
For one thing the zero line does not touch the numbers on micrometer sleeve.
For another the mics screw is poorly made as such as to make whoever does the calibration to split hairs at each end of the travel.
I would not recommend them for anybody except a student or newbie apprentice.

I've had an 8" Insize digital caliper for about a year and a half now and so far it seems fine. Also have a dial indicator which has not presented any problems as yet. I do "baby" my tools so no hard usage here...

I have only encounter 2, 6" insize digital callipers, (bought by one of my customers) but in my experience they were the worst i calliper i have ever encountered. I would rather have one of those dirt cheap pressed steel vernier ones! At least you can get something resembling a dimension with those.

Both were incredibly stiff. Ni-ether display worked in any kinda a reliable way. It created such a impression i will never own anything with there brand on it ever.

Nuff Said?

I will stick with mititoyo or how ever they spell it for as long as i can either afford them or they stop making them. They work, the batteries last forever and there accurate.

Gordon, i notice the water proof Anyi ones claim to have Mititoyo inner-eds regarding battery life? If that was the same across the rest of there range and there as good as you often state i would love to give a pair a go. They really would be damn near cheap enough to have one at every machine, instead of my current approach of shop and office Mititoyo approach!

Gordon, i notice the water proof Anyi ones claim to have Mititoyo inner-eds regarding battery life? If that was the same across the rest of there range and there as good as you often state i would love to give a pair a go. They really would be damn near cheap enough to have one at every machine, instead of my current approach of shop and office Mititoyo approach!

This is what they (Anyi) write in their IP67 spec.

"Custom chips are designed by Mitutoyo to increase battery life and functionality."

That could be read as "designed by Mitutoyo and copied by XXXX" but I don't know. OTOH Mitutoyo is certainly big enough to do something about any possible patent violation and I'm sure they would.

FWIW I've never yet been disappointed with any Anyi product I've bought. Probably their biggest problem is that they are a Chinese company and that makes them "suspect" to many.

Maybe they make the chip for Mititoyo.
The Insize tools I handeled at a tool show all felt very good to me and easy to read. No gage blocks to check against though.(didn't think of it at the time)
I have several Mititoyo calipers and the batteries last years.
The cheap 12" I have eats batteries and since I seldom us it I take out the battery.

Dave

Maybe they make the chip for Mititoyo.
The Insize tools I handeled at a tool show all felt very good to me and easy to read. No gage blocks to check against though.(didn't think of it at the time)
I have several Mititoyo calipers and the batteries last years.
The cheap 12" I have eats batteries and since I seldom us it I take out the battery.

Dave

I do know for a fact that quite a bit of the electronics Mitutoyo uses (chips etc.) are made in China. I also know that Anyi, as do as good as all other Chinese brands buy their electronics and don't do it themselves. I've visited one Chinese company that manufactures nothing but electronics.

Reputable brands such as Mitutoyo, Sylvac etc. do have a much longer battery lifetime than those that produce "cheap" as "cheap" is a huge market. If a $30 caliper was as good as a $150 one who'd buy the expensive one? ;)

This has been mentioned in another thread but a SR44 battery is better, and lasts longer, than a LR44 one.

Gordon

That's true. They're different technologies.

The SR44 is silver-based, while the LR44 is lithium-based. The silver one lasts longer, but I don't know why.

- Leigh

Leigh, truth be told I don't know why either :) I was once told by a caliper manufacturer (not Anyi) that given a choice to always use SR rather than LR so I assumed he knew more about it than I did. Probably a very safe presumption LOL

To keep my life simple on issues like that I go with "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

OTOH I'm pretty sure someone will now enlighten us ;)

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I think the difference has to do with "energy density", that being the amount of energy that can be stored in a given physical volume.

The SR probably has higher energy density, and thus longer life. Just an assumption.

- Leigh

Hi Gordon,

I think the difference has to do with "energy density", that being the amount of energy that can be stored in a given physical volume.

The SR probably has higher energy density, and thus longer life. Just an assumption.

- Leigh

Rambling a bit here but your "high density" made me think about my younger days when I put a small sheet of lead into a bowl of mercury to see if it really would float. It did but much to my surprise, after it was left in the mercury for a few days, the lead looked as if it had been chromed. Much to my disappointment the "chrome look" didn't last long. Nope, never did try to change lead into gold.

Back