What's new
What's new

Approved method to inspect countersink angle

viper

Titanium
Just curious what methods are most widely used. We typically inspect the corresponding tool angle and the final diam. Is there a tool to check the actual angle in inspection?

I have used the type of gages Kyle links, and they work good for measuring diameters on holes square to flat surfaces. They don't measure angles, just diameters.

I would measure the angles on an optical comparator. Use a transfer medium such as Cerro-bend (low melting temperature alloy) or Facsimile powder (a 2 part plastic with high detail capability). If you use the Facsimile, use Pam cooking spray for a release agent.

Measuring the angle is one thing. Measuring the diameter at the intersection of that and a flat surface is another. Kyle's link above is a decent check of the diameter, but no check of the angle. I've always disliked the template check, because if you are off, you can't tell how far. The link to Brunswick's Di-Angle tool comes up with a tool that will help verify the actual angle. The two methods I like best are the facsimile, either metal or plastic, to measure in an optical comparator, and a CMM. Cheapest of course is the facsimile. I've seen QC guys using a template and it makes me cringe. "Close enough?"... bah

This stuff is the bomb for replicating parts.
Except...

That's a French site and a French company.

Here in the US, Plastiform is a plastic concrete form made by the Plastiform company.

Where do you get the French product in the US? MSC? Reid? McMaster-Carr doesn't have it.

- Leigh

The term, "countersink", could refer to the cutting tool, or to the tapered hole, created by the tool.??????
The ball method is quite accurate, but is limited by the angle, length of the tapered section, and the assortment of balls available to fit the job.
Regards,
Bob

I, just took a walk out to the shop, and found a Severance NCK series countersink. There is a small flat, on the tip of the tool, and a formula for calculating the dia. at the work surface, from the tip flat. The shanks in this series, have a flatted area on the shank, for identification.
Regards,
Bob

Hello, I just read this post and I'm surprised to see that this technique does not seem widespread in the US.
In Europe, this technique is widespread and technically approved by many big names in the industry.
Plastiform is marketed and distributed all over the world today.
Maybe this post is too old ;-)

I suppose it depends on the accuracy necessary but I'm sure, with a little "fiddling" this could be made for smallish holes.

angle vernier.jpg

Fiddle with this and it'd probably be more accurate.

digital angle gauge.jpg

By "fiddling" I mean of course grinding or "cutting" the sliding "rule".

Back