What's new
What's new

Sunnen AG300 gauge

jwatts

Hot Rolled
I recently picked up an old Sunnen hone and it came with the AG300 gauge. I've seen reference to a "midget" point set allowing for measurement down to ~0.375" diameter. Does anyone know if there were/are point sets that would get down to 0.25"? It is an interesting gauge, and I would like to be able to use it, but for holes in the 0.25" range would I be better off just getting a dial bore gauge?

Give a more information on the holes you want to measure. Are they open or blind, how deep are they, and what are the tolerances on the holes.

The holes will be through holes and range from 0.5" to 1.5" in length. The final specs haven't been set yet, but I expect the tolerances to be 2 tenths or less.

The AG300 will not go that small even if it did measuring down to less than 2 tenths is a stretch. I would suggest calling your local Sunnen rep and talking to him. What you need is a PG700E gage which will measure down to 50 millions, Sunnen both sells and leases these gages. Your Sunnen rep can be reached at 1 800 897 7095 his extension is 7928.

The holes will be through holes and range from 0.5" to 1.5" in length. The final specs haven't been set yet, but I expect the tolerances to be 2 tenths or less.

2 ten thousandths of an inch is a lot to ask on a hole. Not to say that it can't be done, but you get into all different issues with straightness, flatness, and cylindricity. Most of these (at that diameter) are addressed with Deltronics gage pins. You can verify minimum diameter, straightness and functionality of the part that way.

Robert my ±2

Back