What's new
What's new

B&S Hite-Icator

troyscrew

Plastic
I have a B&S Hite-Icator at my one shop and just found another one the other day at my other shop. I have absolutely no idea how these work. Does anyone know of a video or manual for these. I've looked everywhere.

Thanks,
Marc

I have heard of slightly different names for them but if you have what I think you have they are for setting indicators on height gages. If you want to check several measurements on a part using a height gage then you would stack up gage blocks to the size you want to measure then set the indicator of your height gage to this stack and make a comparison with your part. If you want to check multiple sizes this can be pretty slow, so you use the B&S tool instead of gage blocks and it speeds up the process. Of course your Hite-icator needs to be calibrated to be accurate.

Charles

troyscrew - is this what you have?
Brown & Sharpe Hite-Icator - Digital Reading Height Setting and Height Reference Gages

• Accuracy: Within +.000050" (+0.00127 mm)
• Positioning: Rapid adjusting knob for quick, precise positioning of reference blocks
• Micrometer Head: 4" diameter micrometer head for precise, direct reading by .001" (0.002 mm)
• Digital Display: Error-proof .001" (0.01 mm) digital display
• Convenience: Column scales show each 1" (25 mm)
• Efficiency: The top of each reference block is permanently wrung to the bottom of the adjacent block, permitting over and under measurement without changing the setting. Eliminates the need for a reverse checking plate
• Repeatability: Small gaging surfaces designed for ease of use and highest degree of repeatability
• Column: Block column moves as a single unit without rotation
• Lapped Base Pads: Hardened and lapped base pads provide smooth, accurate movement on surface plates
• Extended Work Ranges: Accessory Riser Blocks attach securely to Hite-Icator's base pads by interlocking without clamping. Each Riser Block extends Hite-IcatorÆs working range by 10" (250 mm)

National Supply Source Brown & Sharpe Hite-Icator - Digital Reading Height Setting and Height Reference Gages  - Brown & Sharpe Hite-Icator - Digital Reading Height Setting and Height Reference Gages  Product Page

No affiliation with Nolan Supply; just found this on their website...

troyscrew - is this what you have?
Brown & Sharpe Hite-Icator - Digital Reading Height Setting and Height Reference Gages

• Accuracy: Within +.000050" (+0.00127 mm)
• Positioning: Rapid adjusting knob for quick, precise positioning of reference blocks
• Micrometer Head: 4" diameter micrometer head for precise, direct reading by .001" (0.002 mm)
• Digital Display: Error-proof .001" (0.01 mm) digital display
• Convenience: Column scales show each 1" (25 mm)
• Efficiency: The top of each reference block is permanently wrung to the bottom of the adjacent block, permitting over and under measurement without changing the setting. Eliminates the need for a reverse checking plate
• Repeatability: Small gaging surfaces designed for ease of use and highest degree of repeatability
• Column: Block column moves as a single unit without rotation
• Lapped Base Pads: Hardened and lapped base pads provide smooth, accurate movement on surface plates
• Extended Work Ranges: Accessory Riser Blocks attach securely to Hite-Icator's base pads by interlocking without clamping. Each Riser Block extends Hite-IcatorÆs working range by 10" (250 mm)

National Supply Source Brown & Sharpe Hite-Icator - Digital Reading Height Setting and Height Reference Gages* - Brown & Sharpe Hite-Icator - Digital Reading Height Setting and Height Reference Gages* Product Page

No affiliation with Nolan Supply; just found this on their website...

Yes, that is what I have. If it's used to set heights on the height gage, that could be really useful. I will give it a try.

I check mine ( a B&S, and a Mitutoyo) like this.. First, clean your surface plate spotless.. Get a transfer gage that will hold a tenth (.0001) indicator, and a set of gage blocks. Using gage blocks of various heights... Say 1 inch, 3 inch, 6 inch, plus add in a few odd sizes, and verify that things all agree.. There is a fine adjustment to zero out the vernier on the micrometer head.. Things should all agree within at least a few tenths..

A full lab calibration of one of these is a fairly expensive service, if they map all the errors...

troyscrew & lathehand - If you email Brown & Sharpe through the Hexagon Metrology (parent company of B & S) website, someone in their Technical Support department may be able to dig up some old documentation on it. I emailed them to get information on a Bench Micrometer that has been out of production for years, and they were able to (somehow) come up with a user's manual. (Big thanks to Andrew Liles @ Hexagon Metrology!)
Good luck! :)

I can provide a copy of a 1998-ish Metrology Lab cal procedure for a Hite-I-cator; aka height master / cadillac gage, etc.; in MS word or Adobe PDF. Procedure assumes a lab-grade surface plate and an electronic amplifier & indicator set are available. It is the long version, covers all steps including basic repeatability and expects precision into the 20-to-50 millionths range. Let me know-
Ed H

I'd be interested in that. Recently got a hite-icator that was stuck (someone "overtravelled" it upward), that I dismantled to get it unstuck. I have it back together now, but It needs adjustment and calibration. Does the calibration instruction also give adjustment procedures?

I just discovered one of these 5851-12 Hite-Icator. Has anyone instructions for this yet. I'm pretty adept at using H. gauges but I don't have a clue on this one.
Anyone?

Since ed.hopson hasn't posted anything here in about 4 years, you might be out of luck from him. You might be better off contacting Brown & Sharpe's most recent parent company, Hexagon Metrology, and try your luck with them.
I also just bought one. Ed H can you post the calibration procedure?

Thanks
Alan

Back