Calibrate thread wires for 3 wire method? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Piper3T View Post
    Yes, that's probably true. So, let me re-state my original question with regards to calibrating thread wires. An inspector uses thread wires and a calibrated micrometer to inspect a part. The micrometer is traceable, but do the thread wires need to be? Maybe inspection should be using much better thread wires? In our shop we're always used a basic set, but it has no tractability.
    I'm confused. Your micrometers are traceable. Why don't you just use them to measure the wires, and then measure the thread pitch diameter using the wires you just measured? The only requirement is that all three wires are the same diameter (within some tolerance) and they are somewhat close to the "best wire" size.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    I'm confused. Your micrometers are traceable. Why don't you just use them to measure the wires, and then measure the thread pitch diameter using the wires you just measured? The only requirement is that all three wires are the same diameter (within some tolerance) and they are somewhat close to the "best wire" size.
    Yes. I just wanted to see what other people are doing for tractability. Previous QA manager was not doing anything traceable so i'm building that set of procedures up. At first I thought these should be calibrated the same as our gage pins, by outside vendor, but was wondering what other options there are.