What's new
What's new

Cast iron inspection plate questions

Cadillac

Aluminum
D3348C0F-3EC1-4B25-9664-3927EB3B8EF8.jpgI recently purchased a 30x46 table with a 1” thick top. Table has a nice scraped finish and is very heavy. I have a couple questions.
Where would a name be located. I’ve looked all over except the bottom?
Any ideas on the weight. Not specific just want to know for the table I will build to support. Looks as if it has four support in the corners and casting looks to touch that plane in center.?
What would the two pipe threads at each end of top be used for. Wouldn’t think to lift to heavy.
With the top being scraped how would one resurface if wanted too. Their were some rust marks that when cleaned it took the scraped marks away. Nothing major just curious about resurfacing cost and procedure.
Now if I could figure out how to post picture without photobucket I’d be good.
Thanks for any help

Last edited:
This is a catalog from Bush Precision that has gone business. It shows your size plate at 1250 pounds.

You may see a name on bottom. many times they had a brass plate riveted to the outside. The plate should have 3 legs on the bottom. That is called 3 points and thats where your stand should support the plate.

https://www.buschprecision.com/Busch-Precision/PDFs/Marketing-Materials/BuschCatalogWeb.pdf

Here is another company that makes them... This one says 950 pounds
Challenge Precision Three Point Plates

If you want to learn how to scrape it come over to the Reconditioning forum. We talk about scraping in there.

If you want to learn to scrape it in a class in March. Checkout Rockford IL Scraping Class thread in there.

Now if I could figure out how to post picture without photobucket I’d be good.

Use PM itself.

During composition of a NEW post, or within about 23 hours of putting up an old one;

Edit mode, either way:

Scroll down to "Advanced"

Then "Manage Attachments"

You'll then need to "Choose File" from off the device you are signed-in with

"Upload" that file,

select it (may be already be 'ticked')

Choose to Attach or include it,

and "Done".

If you need to remove it, just use the text-mode and edit out the line(s) that serve as links for it.

You can also delete entire posts, so don't hesitate to experiment and clean things up later if need be.

What would the two pipe threads at each end of top be used for. Wouldn’t think to lift to heavy.
Thanks for any help
The two threaded holes are indeed to install handles so that it could be flipped upside-down for spotting other surfaces. You need a chain hoist (or similar mean to lift it), a chain and a spreader bar that allows the chain to go up vertical for at least half the depth of the table.

Paolo

This a good thread that discusses scraping. My last post has You Tube examples in it.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-rhu-450-1960s-343863/index4.html#post3112734

Usually the 2 holes on the ong end of the plate are standard bolt threads not pip threads. As Palao said they are for using a spread bar to flip the plate over faster. You can also make one from rectangle tubing and bar stock.

Inside the Moore Book "The Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy" shows using them on plates. Look at pages 20 and 23 and they show the flipper also shows 3 points. The first chapter talks about scraping surface plates.

It a great book on scraping and Rebuilding.
Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy

You can also buy new ones from :Publications at Moore Tool: Precision Machining Technology, Precision Tools

The Edward Connelly book s also a good one: They are sold on Ebay. Or Scrib has them too.

EDWARD CONNELLY BOOK " MACHINE TOOL RECONDITIONING" NEW | eBay

I also sell a DVD on scraping on Ebay and if you want one I sell them to PM members at a discounted price.
I have a new Digital DVD and USB plug version. You can Private message me on that.

Good Luck and have fun learning to scrape. Rich

oops...sorry it did it 2 times...I tried to delete one...but it's not working

This a good thread that discusses scraping. My last post has You Tube examples in it.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-rhu-450-1960s-343863/index4.html#post3112734

Usually the 2 holes on the ends of the plate are standard bolt threads not pipe threads. As Palao said they are for using a spread bar to flip the plate over faster. You can also make one from rectangle tubing and bar stock if your a good welder, if not buy one or have a good welder make you one.

Inside the Moore Book "The Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy" shows using them on plates. Look at pages 20 and 23 and they show the flipper spreader bar, also shows 3 points mounting. The first chapter talks about scraping surface plates.

It a great book on scraping and Rebuilding.
Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy

You can also buy new ones from :Publications at Moore Tool: Precision Machining Technology, Precision Tools

The Edward Connelly book s also a good one: They are sold on Ebay. Or Scrib has them too.

EDWARD CONNELLY BOOK " MACHINE TOOL RECONDITIONING" NEW | eBay

I also sell a DVD on scraping on Ebay and if you want one I sell them to PM members at a discounted price.
I have a new Digital DVD and USB plug version. You can Private message me on that.

Good Luck and have fun learning to scrape. Rich

Thank you monarch for the tip. One thing I found is you have to be on the full site to get the options. Thanks again.
Richard I will definitely look into your scraping class in March. I’ve recently got interested in scraping and have seen a couple of videos and read a lot about you and scraping. Where can I get info on the class?
I will look into the links given thanks all.

Back