What's new
What's new

Cleaning "Gunk" Off of a Granite Plate

inwoodcutter

Cast Iron
I recently picked up a couple of large granite surface plates. The auction house managed to use some adhesive (not hot melt) to tag the plate and they managed to put it right on top. I've also noticed some other stuff that looks like dried clear coat, etc. on the plate. What can one do (and what should one not do) to get this stuff off?

I did a search and read quite a bit about using solvents like acetone, and MEK along with the flour/ sawdust on top. Can anything beyond a cotton rag be used to wipe it? What about (dare I say it?) a razor blade?

The one plate is a Rock of Ages, 48" x 72" x 14" thick.

Thanks,

Dan

Attachments

• 20170215_183145.jpg
    20170215_183145.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 198
I recently picked up a couple of large granite surface plates. The auction house managed to use some adhesive (not hot melt) to tag the plate and they managed to put it right on top. I've also noticed some other stuff that looks like dried clear coat, etc. on the plate. What can one do (and what should one not do) to get this stuff off?

I did a search and read quite a bit about using solvents like acetone, and MEK along with the flour/ sawdust on top. Can anything beyond a cotton rag be used to wipe it? What about (dare I say it?) a razor blade?

The one plate is a Rock of Ages, 48" x 72" x 14" thick.

Thanks,

Dan
there are citrus based cleaners made for taking sticky glue off. otherwise i only use Starrett surface plate cleaner as it leaves no residue and does not damage stone.
the say water will make granite swell up in that spot til it dries. i'd go easy on pouring liquids all over it

I am not aware of anything that will etch real granite and a razor blade would not cause any problems as long as you don't dig into the stone with an edge. Your ideas about a solvent and something to suck it back up is the proper way to remove stains without driving them deeper. When the stains are almost removed you can cover the solvent and sawdust with plastic, taping the edges to seal, to keep the solvent from evaporating too fast. There are also stain removing poultices just for granite. Granquartz is where I get a lot of my stone related supplies. As far as doing any damage to the granite just don't use abrasives and I think you will be fine.

Back