What's new
What's new

Cleanning CMM tips

nkuzmik

Aluminum
So I have a CMM with both a ruby and a ceramic tip. The ceramic tip is picking up streaks of the aluminum parts we have to measure. The ruby tip...
IMG_20180523_104843-2.jpg
The entire top half is basically coated with aluminum.

Now how can I phrase this next part elegantly? :cryin:HELP!!!!!!!:cryin:

What RPM are you running that at? I've never seen that before. Are you probing castings? Try waiting till they solidify :)

I've always cleaned tips with alcohol and Kim wipes. I think you clean that one with a credit card.....

Is this using a fully computerized CMM? There should be parameters for contact force and speed of travel, maybe back those off when dealing with Al parts?

Does anyone make diamond contact points? Will cost more, but should have better resistance to metal transfer.

Edit: At least these guys do, more choices with a search for diamond CMM probes.

Q-Mark Probe Styli - Diamond Styli

Hard to imagine what the F$%* is going on with that !! But I want to know how this is happening, never seen anything like this on any probe and I've been around for a long time.

Make Chip Boys !

Ron

Are you sweeping parts instead of touching off, this would significantly increase wear/transfer?

Check you extrusions to see if they are clean before inspecting. Does wiping with a white cloths and a little IPA turn the cloth silver colored?

I would look to chemically remove the aluminum. Try suspending the tip in bleach for awhile and then gently wipe. Bleach should eat at the aluminum and I am GUESSING is fine for the ruby. Probably should actually check with the probe maker.

Are you sweeping parts instead of touching off, this would significantly increase wear/transfer?
Yes, we are sweeping the parts. I talked to the person doing the work and had them sweep a pen across my hand. They are using no more force than a crayon or pencil.

Check you extrusions to see if they are clean before inspecting. Does wiping with a white cloths and a little IPA turn the cloth silver colored?

I would look to chemically remove the aluminum. Try suspending the tip in bleach for awhile and then gently wipe. Bleach should eat at the aluminum and I am GUESSING is fine for the ruby. Probably should actually check with the probe maker.

I can look into that.

There is also a ceramic ball that is showing similar buildup, but not NEARLY as bad.

IMG_20180523_122058.jpg

What about 0000 steel wool or fine Scotch brite pads?

Don't use abrasive methods on your measuring styli. From an older PM post:

"Sodium Hydroxide AKA. Lye, AKA Drano(not liquid Drano) will aggressively attack aluminum not to mention your skin be careful. Dissolve some in water make it pretty concentrated. I t will dissolve the aluminum but it also will release some hydrogen gas and heat. I wouldn’t do it a confined area and I would wear some rubber gloves."

Wash the treated area with clean water, dry thoroughly before use.

Drano is quick. Apply with non-abrasive cloth wait a minute or two rinse then an alcohol wipe for final cleanup. If you don't have Drano, any alkali will attack aluminum to some extent. Ruby and aluminum oxide will not be affected by the caustic. Advise keeping the solution away from the stem. Skin and eye protection!!

Back