What's new
What's new

CMM basic courses/books and/or "CMM Manager"

Squidward

Plastic
Can anybody recommend a good online course or a book that will help teach me about CMMs? Even better would be if there were anything relating to "CMM Manager" software. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Beyond vendor training there's not a lot of resources out there for learning how to use CMM's. The only independant book I've ever found on the subject is Coordinate Measuring Machines and Systems, and it's not particularly useful for learning how to operate one.

Join the CMMGuys forum and ask questions, and watch youtube tutorials specific to CMM Manager. That's about all you can do without arranging some real training.

CMM Manager can be picked up pretty quickly compared to the other software I have run. Very little coding and a lot of GUI functions. I don't know a resource to read up on however. You might try the help manual for the program and read through how functions work.

As for a general book, I agree there's not much out there that I have come across. There are the basics of how a CMM works, but besides the people that actually design CMMs, I don't think anyone else has ever been that interested. Reading through CMM manufacturer catalogs and accessory catalogs might answer some of your questions.

Edit: Coincidentally, a half hour after I wrote my post I found some files on my PC that reminded me of some online "classes" I did at Tooling U. While not great, it was pretty informative about the basics. They're not free and at the time my company had a license to do these courses.

Inspection Training CMM Basics | Tooling U-SME
Inspection Training Using CMMs | Tooling U-SME
Inspecting with CMMs 361

The "classes" have you read through various PDFs and then take a comprehension exam.

Last edited:

Back