What's new
What's new

CMM programming

Ove

Plastic
Hi!

I'm a mechanical student from Norway.
This semester I'm writing a thesis about CMM programming.

I don't know if I understand the differences between online and offline programming.

For me it seems like the only difference is that in offline programming
you do the programming without the part.

Can someone please tell me the principles and the differences with online and offline programming of CMM?

Thank you in advance!:)

Best regards Ove

Usually online means you write the program on the same computer that is controlling the machine. Offline is done on another computer with a second seat of the software.

Off-line programming allows you to continue writting programs while the CMM is being productive measuring parts.

SBL9A

Many fine lines in the definition.
A oversimplification but:
Online - You drive the machine around with a joystick or such and "teach" it where you want to measure.
Offline- You write code around the expected part shape and then hope you don't rip the probe off the arm when someone else loads your code and runs it.

Online - The machine is not making money while you program it.
Offline - The machine eats lots of money if you make a small mistake.

Online- You pay someone to sit in front of the mega buck machine writing a program.
Offline- You talk your wiz kids into programming the machine at home rather than playing with their video games.
Bob

It appears that we are finally getting some substance to the subject. How about some PM members that actually have some expertise in the use of programmable CMM's respond. Maybe then the OP can get some answers that he can use.

Lord Byron

Have you ever used a CMM?

Leigh-

Go to the metrology section of this forum, and do a search for the word MICROVAL. On the first page of 25 posts, 18 of the posts had comments by me. These comments attest to my credentials.

Lord Byron

So the lesson for the OP is that you have nothing to add, but if he searches this section for the name of an extinct line of CMMs, he will learn that you are actually a genius?

Lord Ewlsey

I do not base my thesis on this information.
But for me the difference between online and offline programming was not that obvious, so I thought maybe some of you
could give an simple explanation.
I am grateful for the answers

I am a daily user of CMM's. Here is my opinion on what online and offline programming mean.

Online is you are sitting at the machine programming a part as you measure the it. The part is being inspected as you program it.

Offline is you maybe do not have the part in front of you. So you work off the print to create a program in advance of receiving said part. You don't necessarily have to have a second seat of the software for it to be considered offline programming.

Hope this helps,
Ken

Leigh-

Go to the metrology section of this forum, and do a search for the word MICROVAL. On the first page of 25 posts, 18 of the posts had comments by me. These comments attest to my credentials.

Lord Byron

I wouldn't question your "credentials". Just your attitude.

Good day sir.

While programming offline you are not physically driving the machine, you are simulating everything. This is generally done from a CAD model, but can be done without one.

While you generally program with the software you will actually use on the CMM itself, there are several packages available that will allow you to create a program and export it to native DMIS code. I believe Unigraphics offers this module, but I could be mistaken. Otherwise, depending on the software company's licensing requirements, you may need a separate license to program completely offline, or you may be able to program offline while the computer is actively connected to the CMM controller (PC-DMIS uses this method). There are some packages that actually read plain text, so you could program in Wordpad (or similar) and copy and paste it in, though this requires intimate familiarity with the software. The downside to using a different package than the one you will be using on the CMM is not having all of the functionality available. However, if you can program the bulk of the features and the moves before bringing it online, it can save you some time.

If you're going to export native DMIS code, you need to be sure the CMM software will to be able to read it. This is usually met with different levels of success, but it's safe to say you will still need to spend some time tweaking the program. If you've programmed in the same language you should have far fewer problems. Regardless, you will need to spend some time proving out the program.

Programming online uses many of the same techniques, plus it gives you the benefit of being able to physically touch off the part. If you aren't real familiar with the software and don't have CAD available, this is the only method you could use. A big advantage to programming online is the ability to see the reality of clearance issues you may run into while programming.

Back