What's new
What's new

Cody's Lab: How do Gauge Blocks Stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyderedge

Titanium
Besides some slight gauge block abuse I thought this might be a good video to post. If he does an update to this video, or shows if they do, infact, cold weld after a long period of time, I'll post it in this thread.

I have some blocks I ground using a 150 grit wheel wrung together for weeks on end and they didn't cold weld. Although not lapped, I couldn't see the needle move on a tenths indicator while measuring them. I wonder if a vacuum changes that and provides the proper conditions to weld like gold nanowires for microscopic electronics work.

And here is a short clip of gold nanowires "cold welding"

H8H0Zfv.gif

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

his experiment doesnt make sense to me, he should check if block stick in the vacuum and not let the air in.

i have seen tight fitting assembled steel parts rust together fairly solid. like who hasnt had nuts and bolts stuck together where they would not come apart.
usually gage block material is fairly durable for intended use. i usually just wipe on piece of paper and they stick together with wringing motion. only ones that do not stick are scratched ones being used on a part slot to check slot width. after checking slots a few hundred times they tend not to stick together as easily

There is a paper on gauge blocks by NIST, if anybody cares I'll hunt up the title. If you read this paper (written some years ago) you will find that the bit where gauge blocks wring together:
a. Has been studied for nearly 100 years, with no good explanation so far. By the way it's been known to NOT be due to air pressure since the beginning.
b. Exotic stuff has been tried to explain it and failed.
c. It's not cold welding - that's a real thing, but is not what wringing is.

There is a paper on gauge blocks by NIST, if anybody cares I'll hunt up the title. If you read this paper (written some years ago) you will find that the bit where gauge blocks wring together:
a. Has been studied for nearly 100 years, with no good explanation so far. By the way it's been known to NOT be due to air pressure since the beginning.
i was told it was a type of molecular attraction. not magnetic but a similar type of attraction that occurs on precisely the same shape surfaces usually flat. when round shaft stuck in round bore usually just say it galled or little tears on material come off from material sticking together. also seen on cutting tools and lack of lubricant you get false cutting edge buildup or cut material sticking to cutting edge.
lost of times metal sticks when clean and dry

It was my understanding it was basically a type of adhesion, being so flat the two objects can get so close that they can exchange electrons and adhere

don't think it is a mystery

It's called "The Gauge Block Handbook". https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/calibrations/mono180.pdf

I have some blocks I ground using a 150 grit wheel wrung together for weeks on end and they didn't cold weld. Although not lapped, I couldn't see the needle move on a tenths indicator while measuring them.
150 grit and a tenths indicator ? ? ?

This has nothing to do with gage blocks.

Thread closed.

- Leigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back