What's new
What's new

Designing an adapter to clamp a CAT 40 Dyno on a machine with SK40 TH interface

ravzam

Plastic
Dear All,

I am trying to measure forces on a hobbing operation (A gear manufacturing process) which has a rotary worktable with SK40 spindle. In order to measure the forces, therefore, I have to use a rotary dynamometer. The dynamometer that I have now, however, has CAT 40 tapper part (Kistler 9123C-1313). I am looking for a method that I can use the dyno I have to measure the forces on that specific hobbing machine. Maybe a fixture that has both different taper parts on its both ends can be used. But how the dyno can be pulled from spindle and through the fixture is an issue and also the fixture may get long and add flexibility, and thus noise to the measurement.

I would be really thankful if you share with me any idea about the problem, if you have. I am also very interested in a new concept rather than what I am thinking about (the long adapter).

Many thanks in advance,

ravzam - CAT40 and SK40 are the same *taper* (the conical part of the holder) with different threads for the pull stud and perhaps different flanges for toolchanger.

So if the dyno has a CAT40 taper sticking out the top (???) you should be able to mount it to your hobbing machine with nothing more than a different draw bar.

BUT

That device itself is pretty long, and hobbing is all about side loads, which means the "moment" may be much higher than the reality of the process.

Maybe best to post a picture or drawing of the machine.

Back