What's new
What's new

Dial Caliper

crb06

Aluminum
I am currently using a Mitutoyo 6 inch Dial Caliper but am in the market for needing a new one. A few guys at work have recommended the black face Brown and Sharpe but not sure what brand to get. What the best Dial Caliper to get? Probably staying with 6 inch

I am currently using a Mitutoyo 6 inch Dial Caliper but am in the market for needing a new one. A few guys at work have recommended the black face Brown and Sharpe but not sure what brand to get. What the best Dial Caliper to get? Probably staying with 6 inch

Any decent name brand will work. I also have Chicom dial calipers that are accurate, just not very smooth

I prefer Brown and Sharpe to anything else, but Mitutoyo ones are excellent too.

But I don't like black face dials on any gages. To me, they are usually more difficult to read.

I really like plain dial calipers vs digitals. Although, switching inch/metric with a button press is great. :D

The last Mitutoyo 6 inch stainless steel dial calipers I got were very poor quality. They were very rough and when operated had a cog feel as they ran along the rack. I complained and I was told that if I wanted the good ones then I needed to buy the special calipers that are sold as being smooth operating and I was given another part number. Absolute crap and never again.
Buy quality digitals and never look back.
Mike

Absolute crap and never again.
Buy quality digitals and never look back.
Sounds like you got counterfeit product.
Being in California that's probably quite common.

I definitely agree about buying quality. I've purchased Mitutoyo digital calipers from 4" to 12" recently and they're all excellent.

- Leigh

I would have a very hard time buying another Mitutoyo Dial caliper from Brazil given the experience I detailed in this thread: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/metrology/mitutoyo-brazil-334571/

Incidentally, I returned those to Mitutoyo, just on the chance that they would warranty them. I was wrong about when I purchased them- it was 3 years ago, they have sat in my tool box since new- only used a few times, but well beyond the one year warranty.

Anyway, Mitutoyo would not stand behind their product, and offered to repair them for $60 which I declined. I will grind the end myself and make them right.

If you value your time and money and earn a living with your caliper - Mitutoyo 500-196-30
is the choice. Anything less is at best quaint.

Back