What's new
What's new

Dial Test Indicator Repair Procedure

Zirok

Plastic
Hello All,

I was curious to know how a dial test indicator repairing is done.

Can anyone please send me a data or any video mentioning about the dial repairing procedure?.
Is there any spring adjustment or anything like that?

Thanks for your time & patience.

Repairing Test Indicators

Repair procedures for test indicators would vary, depending on the brand. For example: the inner workings of an Interapid indicator are vastly different from a Starrett "Last Word" indicator. Some indicators are more likely to be "field repairable" than others.
Check out Long Island Indicator Service's website: 030 : Gage Repair Service
They have a wealth of information available FREE. Good luck!

Hi Eric,

Sorry for late reply.

Actually, I opened the dial way before & assembled all the items ( refer attachment ) but couldn't make it work properly. May be i am loosing out to preload the gearing ( may be by some spring ) or something like that.

I would like to know your ideas on the same.

Thk

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 17,354
I just rebuilt a similar one yesterday that had been dropped and the two screws that held the bezel on stripped out.

You are correct about needing to set the mainspring preload. On the model I worked on yesterday (an old Tesa) (had it not already had the face forcibly removed) I would have had to pop the crystal, remove the hand and the face and then the two screws that hold the back plate on to get it all apart.

reassembly is opposite with the exception that you have to preload the mainspring first. I put the hand back on the pinion and wind the spring about 6 revolutions then set it back in the body to engage the rack. Then insert the screws and reassemble.

All indicators I have ever worked on (both dial and test) require the mainspring pretension be set. How you go about it is determined by how they are assembled. It is important that you have a way to calibrate the indicator through it's range when your done. Improper engagement of the gears can cause variation which will need to be adjusted out by loosening the screws and changing the mesh.

Last edited:
Sorry for late reply.

I tried to attach a document ( mentioning about the flowchart of dial repairing ) but the file size is huge.

Can you tell me your email ID so that I can mail you the same.

Thk

indicator repair

Hi All
Each brand of indicator and if its a .0001 or .0005 indicator makes a big difference. on preload of the hairspring. .0001 indicators like less.
I like Brown and Sharpe over them all. 6 Jewels wow.

BOB

Last edited by a moderator:

Back