What's new
What's new

DRO Elesta / Visulesta II E

quarkgluonplasma

Aluminum
Dear all

I had issues with my DRO from Elesta, model Visulesta II E, equipped with two Heidenhain LS 303 scales, made in the late 80s and early 90s last century.

DSCN0145.jpg

Got it resolved and wanted to share the details for future reference.

Hope that's the right spot here for this topic.

The unit worked nicely until recently, when the Y axis did not initialize properly anymore (none of the 3 init steps were displayed and finally only two red dots were shown instead of the normal 0.00).
This could not be resolved by pressing C or cleansing the memory (P 701 P Enter).
After opening it looked like this:

DSCN0147.jpg

It became visible that the Li-ion battery had lost contact to the printed circuit board (PCB) due to a failed soldered joint:

DSCN0146.jpg

A second issue was found on the PCB of the power supply unit:

DSCN0148.jpg

Here a metallized-paper (MP) capacitor was burst open:

DSCN0149.jpg

No other obvious problems could be detected, which led to:

1: The replacement of the Li-ion battery (the old one was from 1988, holding still a voltage of 3.2V of the specified 3.6V)

2: The replacement of the defect capacitor together with all the other 4 MP capacitors, that already showed cracks in their hulls, on the power supply PCB.

Switching on after the repair first led to an E7 and then an E4 which could be resolved by pressing C and P 701 P Enter, respectively. It was then switched off and on once again, leading to a normally functioning DRO. Last thing to do was do enter all system specific parameter into the memory (according to the manual, which can be found here: http://www.zelectronic.ch/downloads/bedienungsanleitungvis2egenb.pdf)

Best,

Stefan

Hi, I bought a visulesta 2 for few euros on ebay. But before switching on, I changed battery and line filter capacitors. Switching On But my Visulesta led on a specific state : -[888888888 some times it led E........4 but without any possible action on the keyboard.
Z80 seems to be ok (clocking on addresses and data bus). Eprom memory ? I'm searching for the .hex (or any other format)but have someone made a copy of the D27128 ?
thank you for answers
Charles

...but without any possible action on the keyboard.
Z80 seems to be ok (clocking on addresses and data bus). Eprom memory ? I'm searching for the .hex (or any other format)but have someone made a copy of the D27128 ?
thank you for answers
Charles
I have some issues with the keyboard as well. It does not react at all on keypresses. Display and measurement seems to be fine. Happend from now to then after repowering. Were you able to resolve the issue?
I know i am pulling an older thread, but was not able to google someone else with similar issues.
Regards,
Andreas

quark, if your still around, where did the manual come from? im looking for one for a set matic.

I have some issues with the keyboard as well. It does not react at all on keypresses. Display and measurement seems to be fine. Happend from now to then after repowering. Were you able to resolve the issue?
I know i am pulling an older thread, but was not able to google someone else with similar issues.
Regards,
Andreas

The keyboard pressbuttons can be replaced
I did it once Bought them at RSonline

Peter

Error 4

The keyboard pressbuttons can be replaced
I did it once Bought them at RSonline

Peter

I have a Visulesta II of which I replaced 2 keys which were conductive.

Now I get E4 .. And when pressing MEM sometimes E3.

(P701P enter.. reset's the display sometimes to 00000000 without decimal point)

The battery measures 3.6Volt. and the power supply seems fine.

Eprom problem?

Anyone experience with this unit?

Greetings Herald de Graaf (NL)

I have a Visulesta II of which I replaced 2 keys which were conductive.

Now I get E4 .. And when pressing MEM sometimes E3.

(P701P enter.. reset's the display sometimes to 00000000 without decimal point)

The battery measures 3.6Volt. and the power supply seems fine.

Eprom problem?

Anyone experience with this unit?

Greetings Herald de Graaf (NL)

I would have replaced all keys

Peter
I had the chance to look closer at the device. I measured the keys. They are all working - measured with a multimeter. Seems to be an deeper issue with the "Scanning logic" of the keyboard controller. Will continue next days.

So, finally the issue has been localized and technically substantiated. They keys are damaged. If you measure them with a multimeter they seem to be ok. But due to the fact that they are powered by 5V pulsed voltage this does not help. The keys pass parts of the scattered signals even if they are not pressed. This "confuses" the receiving keybard controller (intel P7279).
Find more details here (in German language): intel P8279 Keyboard Matrix Controller Fehlersuche - Mikrocontroller.net

Also they keys have been identified: type "MDPS LFS" from manufacturer "C&K"

Cheers,
Andreas

Back