What's new
What's new

Federal 200P-1 Mikemaster micrometer. Anyone know the history on this instrument?

microinch

Aluminum
I've been using a Federal 200P-1 Mikemaster indicating micrometer for over 35 years, and it's have served me well.

What I'd like to find out is if anyone has knowledge of history of this insturment.

All I know is that Federal featured the mic in it's 1950 catalog for $65.
Federal ceased production of the Mikemaster sometime in the 1970's after Mitutoyo introduced the 102 indicating mic for $50.

I received my 200P-1 from a foreman at Pratt & Whitney Aircraft back in the mid 70's when I was working as a production
grinder operator and it's been with me ever since. Only service ever needed was the occasional anvil lapping.

The 200P-1 is about half the size of a Etalon indicating mic and fits the hand much better than the Eatlon.

I've owned Etalon, Tesa, Mahr, VIZ, Steinmeyer, and Mitutoyo indicating mics, but none have endured as well the Federal.

Does anyone have the "who, what, when and where" on this mic?

It wasn't easy to find but here it is. Patent information on the Federal 200P-1 Indicating Micrometer.

U.S. Patent 2484772 "Tolerance Limit Indicator" (J. H. Worthen) (Federal Products Corporation) was applied for on Nov 15, 144 and granted October 11, 1949.

[https://worldwide.espacenet.com/pub..._EP&FT=D&date=19491011&CC=US&NR=2484772A&KC=A

I have some old Federal catalogs and the 200P-1 does show up on a 1979 price list. I do not know how far into the 1980's or 1990's they may have continued to make this model.

Ed

I've been using a Federal 200P-1 Mikemaster indicating micrometer for over 35 years, and it's have served me well.

What I'd like to find out is if anyone has knowledge of history of this insturment.

All I know is that Federal featured the mic in it's 1950 catalog for $65.
Federal ceased production of the Mikemaster sometime in the 1970's after Mitutoyo introduced the 102 indicating mic for $50.

I received my 200P-1 from a foreman at Pratt & Whitney Aircraft back in the mid 70's when I was working as a production
grinder operator and it's been with me ever since. Only service ever needed was the occasional anvil lapping.

The 200P-1 is about half the size of a Etalon indicating mic and fits the hand much better than the Eatlon.

I've owned Etalon, Tesa, Mahr, VIZ, Steinmeyer, and Mitutoyo indicating mics, but none have endured as well the Federal.

Does anyone have the "who, what, when and where" on this mic?

Not I.

But other than used as-is, forty bucks and up dice-rolls, this instrument dealer/service outfit's listing might be of interest if you want a spare in good condition:

Federal 2P-1 Mikemaster Indicating Micrometer, -1" Range, .1" Gr – Ideal Precision Instrument Service, Inc.

First time I've heard a Federal product described as "enduring", BTW. Back in the day, their indicators were notorious for developing sticky spots. LI Indicator ascribed it to not being adequately hardened where they needed to be. B&S or others had displaced them, many shops, Federals on granite stands re-assigned to measuring their own accumulating dust.

Back