What's new
What's new

Gage Pin Storage

srjustman

Plastic
we are in the process of reorganizing our QC department. Our lead inspector is asking for a better way to store our gage pin sets. Currently they are in the typical wooden case with hinged covers. they are stacked in a pile 3-4 high.

obviously when you want o use a pin from the 2nd or 3rd box down...right, unstack the pile, do your measurement and then restack the pile 'o gages.

is anybody aware of a bench top rack or sliding drawer system for these gage pin sets that could make them more accessible? i didn't have much luck surfin'

thanks,

I have a 6' tall wire shelving unit, with a couple of shelves close together with space just high enough for single boxes. They all fit nicely.

- Leigh

I have seen a shop with a shop built plywood box with 1" angle aluminum angles that make "shelves" to support each box, a small pull handle in the front center allowed you to pull it out and then grab the sides to take it out, was only about two inch wider and taller than a stack of five..

If the stack position is convenient and the boxes all the same or fairly similar size a custom cabinet with pull out shelf style drawers is easily made. Best to get some full extension ball slide runners, the inexpensive domestic style ones should be fine. Bend some shallow "U with a back" trays to hold the boxes or simply screw simple "improved wood" board between pairs of runners. Seem similar jobs done with simple slides, or an extended base, fixed to the boxes and arranged to run in grooves in the sides of the uprights. Allegedly simpler and less work than proper runners but I have my doubts. Didn't like them due to the tilt-then-drop potential when removing the boxes. Alignment to re-insert could be a faff too. Full extension runners plus tray gives you a straight lift, much safer.

I swear I've seen a commercial variant made as stackable screw together sets of single drawer / tray units but have never tracked down the supplier.

Clive

PS Typing whilst BGL was posting. The angle shelves sound better that the simple groove systems I've encountered but I'm not completely convinced.

Last edited:

Back