What's new
What's new

Gauges to measure depth and taper on QD & taper lock bushings

Brian Runau

Plastic
Good afternoon. Can anyone suggest a supplier for hand held gauge to measure the taper depth and taper angel on QD & taper lock bushings?

Thanks for your help.

Brian

Good afternoon. Can anyone suggest a supplier for hand held gauge to measure the taper depth and taper angel on QD & taper lock bushings?

Thanks for your help.

Brian

You appear to have been a member since 2013 and yet this is your first post?

The more specific you are and the more details you give the better any advice will be. To Gene's question I'll add - price range?

I can't imagine one single hand held gauge being able to do what you want.

Is this the kind of thing you want to inspect?
https://www.ibtinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Martin-Sprocket-QD-Bushings.pdf

Off track? Maybe.

I often get inquiries from India but no longer reply as often as I did. As a nation they seem great at asking innumerable question and one answer leads to new questions. The person asking then simply disappears never to be heard from again.

Has asking questions become an IT sport in India similar to cricket? Has anyone else this experience with India?

Hi Gordon,

I"m inclined to think they're doing market research to feed back to their own manufacturing industry or to the chinese.

- Leigh

Hi Gordon,

I"m inclined to think they're doing market research to feed back to their own manufacturing industry or to the chinese.

- Leigh

I you know India's history with China, you'll know that if they learn something helpful they're not about to pass it on to the Chinese. Unless it's misinformation.

I you know India's history with China, you'll know that if they learn something helpful they're not about to pass it on to the Chinese. Unless it's misinformation.
Money speaks louder than ethic differences.

I'm sure if a chinese company is willing to pay for information, they can find someone in India who will provide same.

- Leigh

Hi Gordon,

- Leigh

and Hi Leigh,

On thinking that over I'm more than inclined to believe you're right.

Any chance though IN could have meant Indiana and not India as I first thought?

My "observation" re India still stands though.

Gene, Thanks. These would be air gauges. I was hoping to find something mechanical for my shop guys to use to QC products when they come in.

Thanks.

Brian

Consider this.
Two of these with appropriately sized and shaped points along with a qualified gauge part.

Gene

Attachments

• 644jz.jpg
    644jz.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Indicator Point.jpg
    Indicator Point.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 223
My recent experience with QD taperlock style bushings is that measuring them is almost a total waste of time. The ones I had my hands on recently (martin and Browning) were almost too poorly machined for reliable measurement. In particular, the tapered bushings, were "as cast" with the exception of edges knocked down on a sander or wheel.

I was very very dissapointed with the bushing, but was unable to find a machined one. I ended up knocking all burrs down with a file and tightening down into the pulley and Jig Grinding the ID. This produced a good fit on the shaft, but the taper mating portions and their fits are still crap.

These style bushings, to me, seem to be a very poor design for anything other than low rpm power transmission etc. I was adapting one to work on a 6k spindle and found it poorly suited to the task. I got it working, but it does not make me happy.

Back