What's new
What's new

Granite Surface Plate Specs Bernardo (EU - AT)

made2hack

Plastic
Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience with Bernardo branded granite surface plates? This company is an Austrian importer of Chinese made tools. They have a 630mm x 400mm x 100mm (24" x 16" x 4") granite surface plate however offer no specs on it.

They don't specify the DIN 876 precision or any for that matter.

All I know is that it is a Chinese import. How "sh*tty" could it be? Or how imprecise could it be? Can I assume it has the worst DIN specs and it could be off by as much as 50+ um?

I added the link below for you to have a look at:

Hartgestein-Mess- und Prufplatte 63 x 4 x 1 mm - Granit surface plates - Measuring tools - Accessories metal working - Metal - Bernardo

Thank you,

Hi,

Firstly I'm definitely not a machinist; I'm a hobbyist who enjoys meddling with mechanical items.

I bought a small Chinese granite surface plate some years ago, 300mm x 200mm x 60mm. It was new, and on offer at a sale, and came in a very cheap timber walled crate, and to my surprise had a "map" showing the surface errors. The plate was nicely finished, but the problem was that neither the map nor the plate had any means of indicating which end was which, so the map wasn't any use, even if my work had been to that level of accuracy.

Good luck in your search.

Optimum (German china junk importer) specifies their similar plate as DIN 876/0
Optimum Mess- und Prufplatte

Plate or "certificate" probably don't have serial numbers and appear to be photocopies "of some plate" if it's anything like others..

Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience with Bernardo branded granite surface plates? This company is an Austrian importer of Chinese made tools. They have a 630mm x 400mm x 100mm (24" x 16" x 4") granite surface plate however offer no specs on it.

All I know is that it is a Chinese import. How "sh*tty" could it be? Or how imprecise could it be? Can I assume it has the worst DIN specs and it could be off by as much as 50+ um?

I added the link below for you to have a look at:

Hartgestein-Mess- und Prufplatte 63 x 4 x 1 mm - Granit surface plates - Measuring tools - Accessories metal working - Metal - Bernardo

Thank you,

Not with Bernardo though I have two Chinese plates of that size and they're excellent. At least one Chinese manufacturer has a monstrously large granite polishing machine. Smaller plates coming from there are incredibly flat. I cut one into strips for straight edges and I can see no deviation when compared with my larger lab grade plate. Unless you do something which requires an exceptional precision, I would not worry.

Optimum (German china junk importer) specifies their similar plate as DIN 876/0
Optimum Mess- und Prufplatte

Plate or "certificate" probably don't have serial numbers and appear to be photocopies "of some plate" if it's anything like others..

Not in my experience with some 40-50 plates. The irritation is the lack of some sort of marking and the filling of defects with "epoxy". Might be irrelevant but I hate it. And it's not always easy to see.

Hello all,

No specs to me means no tolerance adhered to, In other words it's buyer beware. Obvious you know that or you wouldn't be bringing it up here!
Every plate I've ever priced has a grade shown in the specs, I wouldn't even consider one without it!
The link lists a phone number; Wonder what they say about it?
Dan

Not with Bernardo though I have two Chinese plates of that size and they're excellent. At least one Chinese manufacturer has a monstrously large granite polishing machine. Smaller plates coming from there are incredibly flat. I cut one into strips for straight edges and I can see no deviation when compared with my larger lab grade plate. Unless you do something which requires an exceptional precision, I would not worry.

Can you tell me how you cut the plate into strips - what type of saw did you use?

Can you tell me how you cut the plate into strips - what type of saw did you use?

If you don't mind the mess a big angle grinder should work. Bit of hacking for guide, or mount the diamond disk to big circular saw..

I used a specialized saw but I also cut some with an angle grinder. Seriously messy but it works. You need a good diamond disk and water for cooling and keeping the cut from clogging. The neat thing about granite is that it has no stresses - none I could tell. It had a couple of years to settle down. :)

I used a specialized saw but I also cut some with an angle grinder. Seriously messy but it works. You need a good diamond disk and water for cooling and keeping the cut from clogging. The neat thing about granite is that it has no stresses - none I could tell. It had a couple of years to settle down. :)

Thanks. Cheers.

Back