Granite Surface Plate Specs Bernardo (EU - AT)
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Country
    NORTHERN MARIANA ISLANDS
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Granite Surface Plate Specs Bernardo (EU - AT)

    Hello all,

    Does anyone have any experience with Bernardo branded granite surface plates? This company is an Austrian importer of Chinese made tools. They have a 630mm x 400mm x 100mm (24" x 16" x 4") granite surface plate however offer no specs on it.

    They don't specify the DIN 876 precision or any for that matter.

    All I know is that it is a Chinese import. How "sh*tty" could it be? Or how imprecise could it be? Can I assume it has the worst DIN specs and it could be off by as much as 50+ um?

    I added the link below for you to have a look at:

    Hartgestein-Mess- und Prufplatte 63 x 4 x 1 mm - Granit surface plates - Measuring tools - Accessories metal working - Metal - Bernardo

    Thank you,

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Hi,

    Firstly I'm definitely not a machinist; I'm a hobbyist who enjoys meddling with mechanical items.

    I bought a small Chinese granite surface plate some years ago, 300mm x 200mm x 60mm. It was new, and on offer at a sale, and came in a very cheap timber walled crate, and to my surprise had a "map" showing the surface errors. The plate was nicely finished, but the problem was that neither the map nor the plate had any means of indicating which end was which, so the map wasn't any use, even if my work had been to that level of accuracy.

    Good luck in your search.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    FINLAND
    Posts
    776
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    183
    Likes (Received)
    356

    Default

    Optimum (German china junk importer) specifies their similar plate as DIN 876/0
    Optimum Mess- und Prufplatte

    Plate or "certificate" probably don't have serial numbers and appear to be photocopies "of some plate" if it's anything like others..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    RSA
    Posts
    817
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    187
    Likes (Received)
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by made2hack View Post
    Hello all,

    Does anyone have any experience with Bernardo branded granite surface plates? This company is an Austrian importer of Chinese made tools. They have a 630mm x 400mm x 100mm (24" x 16" x 4") granite surface plate however offer no specs on it.

    They don't specify the DIN 876 precision or any for that matter.

    All I know is that it is a Chinese import. How "sh*tty" could it be? Or how imprecise could it be? Can I assume it has the worst DIN specs and it could be off by as much as 50+ um?

    I added the link below for you to have a look at:

    Hartgestein-Mess- und Prufplatte 63 x 4 x 1 mm - Granit surface plates - Measuring tools - Accessories metal working - Metal - Bernardo

    Thank you,
    Not with Bernardo though I have two Chinese plates of that size and they're excellent. At least one Chinese manufacturer has a monstrously large granite polishing machine. Smaller plates coming from there are incredibly flat. I cut one into strips for straight edges and I can see no deviation when compared with my larger lab grade plate. Unless you do something which requires an exceptional precision, I would not worry.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    RSA
    Posts
    817
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    187
    Likes (Received)
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Optimum (German china junk importer) specifies their similar plate as DIN 876/0
    Optimum Mess- und Prufplatte

    Plate or "certificate" probably don't have serial numbers and appear to be photocopies "of some plate" if it's anything like others..
    Not in my experience with some 40-50 plates. The irritation is the lack of some sort of marking and the filling of defects with "epoxy". Might be irrelevant but I hate it. And it's not always easy to see.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    St.Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,669
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    90
    Likes (Received)
    342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by made2hack View Post
    Hello all,

    Does anyone have any experience with Bernardo branded granite surface plates? This company is an Austrian importer of Chinese made tools. They have a 630mm x 400mm x 100mm (24" x 16" x 4") granite surface plate however offer no specs on it.

    They don't specify the DIN 876 precision or any for that matter.
    No specs to me means no tolerance adhered to, In other words it's buyer beware. Obvious you know that or you wouldn't be bringing it up here!
    Every plate I've ever priced has a grade shown in the specs, I wouldn't even consider one without it!
    The link lists a phone number; Wonder what they say about it?
    Dan

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexO View Post
    Not with Bernardo though I have two Chinese plates of that size and they're excellent. At least one Chinese manufacturer has a monstrously large granite polishing machine. Smaller plates coming from there are incredibly flat. I cut one into strips for straight edges and I can see no deviation when compared with my larger lab grade plate. Unless you do something which requires an exceptional precision, I would not worry.
    Can you tell me how you cut the plate into strips - what type of saw did you use?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    FINLAND
    Posts
    776
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    183
    Likes (Received)
    356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DTBob View Post
    Can you tell me how you cut the plate into strips - what type of saw did you use?
    If you don't mind the mess a big angle grinder should work. Bit of hacking for guide, or mount the diamond disk to big circular saw..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    RSA
    Posts
    817
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    187
    Likes (Received)
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DTBob View Post
    Can you tell me how you cut the plate into strips - what type of saw did you use?
    I used a specialized saw but I also cut some with an angle grinder. Seriously messy but it works. You need a good diamond disk and water for cooling and keeping the cut from clogging. The neat thing about granite is that it has no stresses - none I could tell. It had a couple of years to settle down.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexO View Post
    I used a specialized saw but I also cut some with an angle grinder. Seriously messy but it works. You need a good diamond disk and water for cooling and keeping the cut from clogging. The neat thing about granite is that it has no stresses - none I could tell. It had a couple of years to settle down.
    Thanks. Cheers.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •