What's new
What's new

Heidenhain KT 130 - Edge Finder / Probe

cypherp

Aluminum
Bought a Heidenhain KT 130 missing a contact. Would like to use it with DRO from Heidenhain (ND 780).

As i understand it, simply wiring it to a new DA15 connector and plugging it in should make it operational again.

Found a circuit diagram after som googling with the pinout as well as the pinout on the ND 780 from the manual. Seems to correlate.

I would like to verify that I do not need any pullup resistors in the connector, diagram had me confused.

kt1303.jpg

On what principle (optical, resistive ...) does this probe operate?

Regards, Cypherp.

Kt120

I have a few thoughts regarding this category of probe based upon earlier version, kt120.

Heidenhain built an extreemly accurate probe with one micron repeatability. It has two power supplies: a 3 volt internal rechargeable battery system which it appears is dedicated only to powering two red diodes-leds.
The second power supply is external and comes from Positip or VRZ DRO. It is supplied thru a 15 pin connector. It is a proprietary circuit but likely adaptable to digitizing cnc software/hardware.

About one year ago I got the kt120 probe and manual. It was apparent I would not be using either of the DRO systems listed above. I therefore cut the cable cord and made a led power supply from two lr44 watch batteries. It is important to know the upper and lower halves of the probe are electrically isolated. The nonconductive black spacer is ?delrin? Anyways, when probe is placed in tool holder, the leds glow only when an electrically conductive circuit thru machine frame is established. The circuit on your image is somewhat electrically isolated and should provide a level of safety from ground fault loops which have the potential of cooking a $5000 Positip. That said, if I use my probe for digitizing, I suspect opto-isolated circuitry will be called for. In usa, these boards sell for about $30.00.

my pics. the battery arrangement with conductive stainless rod is noted. leds are powered up by jumper. I will have a manual posted in pdf form in a day or so.

Picasa Web Albums - jacksonholland - HEIDENHAIN KT120

jh

Bought a Heidenhain KT 130 missing a contact. Would like to use it with DRO from Heidenhain (ND 780).

As i understand it, simply wiring it to a new DA15 connector and plugging it in should make it operational again.

Found a circuit diagram after som googling with the pinout as well as the pinout on the ND 780 from the manual. Seems to correlate.

I would like to verify that I do not need any pullup resistors in the connector, diagram had me confused.

On what principle (optical, resistive ...) does this probe operate?

Regards, Cypherp.

Just connect the 4 wires. Don't need a resistor. The diagram just shows the internal of the positip too.

Back