What's new
What's new

how can you measure this?

You could make a male gauge and blue it up and see were it rubs.

With indicators/or readout and the dial on the compound it can be made as good as the lathe as long as the tool is exactly on center and has almost no nose radius. With a tool radius your tool is not were you think it is. You could lay it out in CAD and get the proper numbers to cut the profile after compensating for the tool nose radius.

How is it you are currenlty making it? I would assume cutting the 1.299diameter, then cutting taper portion, then reversing and cutting the 45* portion.

I assume the problem is the taper portion.

I would consider a multipart gauge, with the central portion being a disc 1.299 in diameter- and a ground .500 shaft extending from one end. On the shaft would slide a disc ground to a calculated diameter- and it would have a ground .7500 shaft extending out and ground square at a calculated distance from the end of the disc. Onto the .750 shaft would side another disc ground to a calculated diameter and calculated length. Having two discs of a known diameter resting in the taper will allow you to measure the taper by how deep they sit relative to another. If your calculations discs and their lenths are correct, the ends of the discs will be flush if the taper is correct. The distance from the end of the discs to the end of the part will tell you how far down the taper extends.

My inital thought was to measure all this on a surface plate- but it could be done in the lathe.

My other thought is to have a reamer ground, which would finsh cut the 1.299 portion, the taper, and face the end of the part. After this, the other end is done with a reamer using some sort of a depth stop.

Back