What's new
What's new

How to measure cylinder? How many tip to use?

=aike=

Plastic
Hi!
I am newbie in CMM measuring. I need help to measure inner sizes of cylinder.
The diameter of cylinder is 92mm and the deepth is 110 mm.
If I use TTP TP2-5W or TP-6, the stilus length is 10mm or 20mm correspondly.
I need to measure the Z=10mm (the bottom) and the Z=100mm.
The Z=100mm is easy to measure using single tip.
But Z=10mm difficult to measure by single tip.
How to do it?

Simplest way: use a large half-ball probe tip and an extension. The half-ball should be larger diameter than the extension. Use this setup for both sets of measurements, just calibrate once and go. Take circles or points, your choice.

-OR-

Put an extension before the probe and use a standard probe tip. Then angle the probe both out from vertical (7.5 degrees might do it, 15 definitely will)and around in a circle. This will require you to set up and calibrate a bunch of probes, one in standard vertical position, and one for each tilt/rotation angle you need. If you want 8 points, you will have to calibrate for 8 probes, one every 45 degrees at 7.5 degree tilt.

For the easy height of measurement, just use the vertical setup. You can take a series of points or a circle.

For the difficult height, you will have to retract the probe to safety distance, change to the next probe corresponding to the position you want to measure at, and go back in. Each point will have to be taken as a single point. You can use connection elements after to create a cirlce if you wish.

I have manual CMM Tesa 343. So the first way with half-ball probe is the best.
I use now this way:
Create multi tip with 2 stylus. One stylus East, second West.
Make measure one inner side of cyliner (West), then use other stylus
to measue East side of cylinder.
It is not good idea, but I don't know how to do it other way.

If I will use Renishaw A-5000-7814 half-ball probe (M3) connected straight to
TP6 TTP. Is it right?
The length of A-5000-7814 is 15 mm, less than recommended 21mm stylus length for TP6 TTP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar job working around the outside of a cylinder, with a huge lump in the middle that I couldn't get past (had to go around). I'm new to this too, but this is what I used in order from top down:

PEL1 50 (mm extension)
TP200
A-5003-0070 (30 mm extension)
A-5000-3614 (18 mm half ball)

All Renishaw numbers.

To get the depth, you will need the extension on top on the probe. As long as the half ball is a larger diameter than anything else going in the hole, it should work.

Good luck.

Back