What's new
What's new

How to use a bench comparator

cklapperich

Plastic
We have one of these: Mitutoyo Bench Comparator
but with an extra dial off the left side that reads down to 20 millionths of an inch.
I haven't been able to find a proper instruction manual for it either - online or at the shop.

Problem is, I'm pretty sure not sure I'm using it right. This is what I've been told to do, and been doing:

Set the 0-1" dial to 0 and lock it so it can't be moved from there.
Adjust the range using the right most knob until the anvils close, and the other 2 indicators read 0. Adjust them if necessary
Adjust the range again (using the right most knob) until it closes on the master gage block stack you're going to compare against, and the other 2 indicators read 0. If necessary, make adjustments to the indicators. Pull down on the lever to remove the gage blocks, put your work piece in, let go of the lever. Take your reading. This leaves me confused about what the purpose of that 0-1" dial is to begin with if you never turn it / change it from 0, and how do you know how much force to use when zeroing it? I can turn the range knob just a little bit tighter or looser get a different reading, adjust the indicators.. and get 0 again :rolleyes5: This, combined with the fact that I'm getting measurements I know are incorrect, leads me to believe I"m doing it horribly wrong :)

Thanks again for helping a confused novice. You guys are incredibly kind and knowledgable :) I hope I'll be able to some day contribute!

Its mitutoyo brand, the model number is 162-102. It looks exactly like the one you just posted, but a different color, and it has an detachable Mahr Supramess dial indicator on the left with a resolution of .00002"

Last edited:
Its mitutoyo brand, the model number is 162-102. It looks exactly like the one you just posted, but a different color, and it has an detachable Mahr Supramess dial indicator on the left with a resolution of .00002"
OK. The -102 is the imperial (inch) version, while the one I posted (-101) is the metric version of the same instrument.

Those are in the latest version of the Mitutoyo catalog that I have, so presumably current manufacture.
I'm sure you can get an owners' manual from Mitutoyo.

I expect the Mahr indicator is a factory option or user-installed, since it differs from the catalog configuration.
That does not impact the specs in any way. The resolution and accuracy are based on the indicator.

Nice instrument, particularly with the high-resolution Mahr.

- Leigh

I have the same, including a Federal amplifier. Mitutoyo sent me an Instruction Manual dated SEP-75, kind of fuzzy, but I can send you a copy if need be.

I have the same, including a Federal amplifier. Mitutoyo sent me an Instruction Manual dated SEP-75, kind of fuzzy, but I can send you a copy if need be.

Please do! That might help me get accurate readings. My measurements are fluctuating a lot and I just can't shake the feeling I'm doing something wrong :rolleyes5:

Back