What's new
What's new

Information about Carl Zeiss optical rotary table?

JFW

Aluminum
Hi guys,

I just aquired this Carl Zeiss Jena optical rotary table, and would like to get some feedback on what these usually where used for and so on. It's in mint condition, and really way to nice for my humble workshop.

4266522439_b765ea8372_b.jpg

Kind regards,

Truls Erik Johnsen
Johnsen Frameworks
Hølen, Norway
www.johnsenframeworks.com

"aus Jena" is/was the East German part of the Zeiss optical company.

When Germany was partitioned after WWII, the original Zeiss optical company in Jena came under Russian control, and continued operation as Zeiss aus Jena.

Most of the staff had already moved to West Germany, where they established a new Zeiss works. So for 50 years there were two Zeiss optical companies.

I believe they have reunited since the German reunification, but don't quote me.

- Leigh

Did you ever get an answer on this? What is the "optical" part of it? Do you look in the scope on top? What do you see if so? Does the scope have crosshairs that align with rotary axis? Are there plates with rows of holes like a regular dividing head somewhere OR does the hand crank maybe just have degree readings? Looks neat whatever it is. Love that German engineering. :toetap:

"aus Jena" is/was the East German part of the Zeiss optical company.

When Germany was partitioned after WWII, the original Zeiss optical company in Jena came under Russian control, and continued operation as Zeiss aus Jena.

Most of the staff had already moved to West Germany, where they established a new Zeiss works. So for 50 years there were two Zeiss optical companies.

I believe they have reunited since the German reunification, but don't quote me.

- Leigh

Zeiss did reunite in the early nineties , have a book on Zeiss history which describes the process in detail.
Armin Hermann : Carl Zeiss , die abenteurliche Geschichte einer Deutschen Firma
A fascinating read on the company and Ernst Abbe.

This type of dividing head was advertised as intended both for high precision indexing on a milling machine and use as measuringequipment.

I`ve never used one , so my guess would be there is some backlit optical scale in there which you peek at trough the scope.

The spindle has a glass scale graduated in degrees. The microscope has a micrometer eyepiece that reads to 10 seconds.

attachment.php

Attachments

• zeiss.jpg
    zeiss.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,778
Hi guys,

I just aquired this Carl Zeiss Jena optical rotary table, and would like to get some feedback on what these usually where used for and so on. It's in mint condition, and really way to nice for my humble workshop.

4266522439_b765ea8372_b.jpg

Kind regards,

Truls Erik Johnsen
Johnsen Frameworks
Hølen, Norway
www.johnsenframeworks.com
I have a brand new optical rotary table make Zeiss for sell. It was imported to India and never used ! Location Pune. Is anyone interested ?

Attachments

• IMG_20220420_133835.jpg
    IMG_20220420_133835.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220420_133846.jpg
    IMG_20220420_133846.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220420_133900.jpg
    IMG_20220420_133900.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220420_133855.jpg
    IMG_20220420_133855.jpg