What's new
What's new

Inspection of long parts

rich s

Cast Iron
We are doing more and more shaft type work of parts that are 40-65" length and need a better way to check them. I am not looking for a micrometer of huge height gage. Any ideas?

The vital part of that is the length bars which could be used some simple accessaries ,I don't know about the US but second hand length bars have got pricey here as I am told new ones are no longer mass produced so cost a fortune ,I don't know if this is true.

Rich you know the deal mate, what's the accuracy required? The response will vary from a tape measure to a laser interferometer depending on the accuracy you need. Also are you looking for a go/no go gauge, or an actual measurement?

Actual measurement with a .005 or better accuracy. We ordered the unit in the video above. Less than a grand for a 84" unit. I was ready to pay 3 times that. Supposed to be accurate to .002.

What a coincidence - I read this thread yesterday, and this morning I got an email about a device similar to that offered by Kentucky Gauge. I have zero experience with this company or this type of measurement device, but I figured I'd throw it out there for anyone else in the market.

They claim accuracy to .003 for lengths up to 125"; no accuracy is listed for the max length of 35' (anything larger than 125" is custom built)

SMI Introduces the Linear Digital Measuring Device - LDMD

A simple and eloquent solution. Nice!

I recall seeing some, I believe, magnetic tape devices that can be used in fixtures of quite long length. But I'm afraid I can't recall any more detail than that. Others may be able to come up with more, but it could be something to investigate if a search of this topic in future suggests the device above isn't long enough. The type of application may be a fence for a saw, and I seem to recall the accuracy was at about this range.

Sorry for the vague details.

Back