What's new
What's new

Internal Spline Involute Profile Measurement and Check

ppeterzhong

Plastic
For external gear involute profile, gear checker can very accurately measure the profile and give accuracy level, e.g. A5. However, for internal involute profile, e.g. internal spline, it seams that measurement over pin is the dominant method. The involute profile is not really checked (except for the pin contact point.

Are there any instruments to measure the whole internal spline involute profile and give the accuracy level?

Thanks.

At GM we had GO/NO-GO gages for involute spline's on production broaching operations. You could probably do the same thing on a CMM

We made a corresponding external spline shaft as a gauge. However, it is a very rough check as the contact cannot really be checked. I guess that no one really check the involute profile of internal spline as the space is too small for a gear checker to get in.

If you mean checking the profile to verify pressure angle and such, you can measure between several sizes of pins and lay out the results. I've used 5 or 6 sizes of pins when reverse engineering a spline. I lay out the results in CAD, but it can be calculated as well if you like numbers better. I'm not the guy to explain how to do that though.

If the goal is to reverse-engineer an internal spline, or to perform a quality control on a limited percentage of the whole production, one solution would be to use metrology-grade silicone, low-melting alloys (e.g. Cerrosafe), or molten sulfur to cast a negative of the spline and measure that.

Paolo

If the goal is to reverse-engineer an internal spline, or to perform a quality control on a limited percentage of the whole production, one solution would be to use metrology-grade silicone, low-melting alloys (e.g. Cerrosafe), or molten sulfur to cast a negative of the spline and measure that.

Paolo

This sounds very encouraging. How accurate can it get to?

Paolo

This is a good idea.

This sounds very encouraging. How accurate can it get to?

I used Cerrosafe to cast a spline about 7/8" dia then pushed it out and looked at it on an optical comparator. It needed a light push to get it out, my impression is that it would be within a few tenths, it doesn't shrink much,

Back