What's new
What's new

Kennedy / Mitutoyo Digital Micrometer

Eric M

Cast Iron
DSC02457.jpgDSC02458.jpgI was just handed a brand-new micrometer for calibration. It was still sealed in the bag, inside its box. The box and all the documentation are marked "Mitutoyo", while the mic itself is marked "Kennedy". Has anyone ever seen this before? (Pics to follow.)

Kennedy is not a manufacturer of measuring instruments.

Most likely Mitutoyo makes this product (and others) bearing the Kennedy name under contract.

- Leigh

Kennedy is not a manufacturer of measuring instruments.

Most likely Mitutoyo makes this product (and others) bearing the Kennedy name under contract.

- Leigh

I thought that might be the case. It's the first time I have seen a "re-branded" item where all the ancillary items were NOT re-branded. In a previous "life", I worked for a printer manufacturer. Daily, we made printers that went out the door with any one of several names on them. In all cases, however, everything with that printer (documentation, packaging, accessories, etc.) was marked with the same brand name on it. There was no indication that the printer had been made by another company. I was surprised to see that a big-name player like Mitutoyo had not done this.

It's just a packaging error.
Given the very large volume of product that they ship every day, one error is hardly significant.

- Leigh

The interesting thing about it to me is that the 331-301 doesn't correlate to anything in the Mitutoyo inventory. I expected it to at least come up as a standard part number on the parts list. I suspect it is a clone with fake Mitutoyo docs.

FWIW, the identical looking (e.g. older style) Mitutoyo units I've owned have had "Made in Japan" engraved on the back plastic plate, along with model number etc. No country of origin markings on this "Kennedy."

Country of Origin labeling is a US requirement.

If this was (intended to be) sold in another country, that might not apply.

- Leigh

Back