What's new
What's new

Keyence Handheld CMM ??

Chris Harris

Cast Iron
I was at IMTS this year and came across the new Keyence Hand Held CMM unit. It was very impressive when it was being demonstrated measuring constantly to about 0.01mm. So I decided to try it out for myself. I was wildly inaccurate. I kept trying different techniques but int he end gave up. I was out by 1mm (0.04") at times!

So, has anyone had experience with this unit? Did they have the same issue as I? I was wondering what the catch was. The demonstrator was absolutely spot on and I would not have modelled anything based on my performance.

Chris

I was also at IMTS this year and somehow I missed this. It looks interesting - sort of like what Gom does with their touch probes to get points their 3D scanners can't see.

We have a Faro Arm in our lab, which probably requires a similar amount of skill. It really depends on the operator to hold still while taking measurements. I don't use it unless it is a low-accuracy job and the part is rigid. I have shaky hands and would probably be a terrible surgeon.

We are looking at one of these but I know they have changed how they were designed since 2017.

Any recent feedback?

Make sure you ask them about traceable calibration if you start looking into it. We were told 'it doesn't need calibration', which is not something our auditors would have ever accepted as an answer. If you have more than 3 datums, or datums that aren't a simple plane-line-point, it can get annoying to get to where you need to be.

Back