What's new
What's new

How are optical comparator profiles typically made/distributed?

Piper3T

Plastic
I have what is probably a strange question, but I'm not very familiar with optical comparators. Our company has one in a different department that I sometimes use, but I've only used it to check distances and sizes.

I'd like to get a machine for the inspection department, but I was wondering how we would get the profiles made/printed out. I'd be interested in checking if profiles match eachother. We do a lot of it with CMM now, but its very time consuming in comparison. Would engineers typically make the profiles and provide them? Inspectors? Do we need CAD software? I'm not likely to get any cooperation or additional resources, so I'm just trying to get a complete picture before I go forward.

Only one time did I get an engineer to make a profile for a part, but that took him 2 hours, and we can't really work on that timetable, nor do i expect much help from engineering anyway.

Thanks

I used to work for a medical company and used transparencies in ALL of our production cells. They were printed on Mylar at 10:1 and 30:1 ratios to check thread forms on bone screws. This was the absolute quickest way to check parts in a production environment.
There are numerous companies that do this or you can do it yourself. But your plotter needs to spot on since the transparencies will be checked before going out on the floor. They become calibrated gauges once out on the floor and will need to be checked again periodically.

There is a thread on the subject here:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/metrology/how-optical-comparator-profiles-typically-made-distributed-344253/

Thank you for the advice. Turns out my approval request was denied, so I guess the point is mute. But I'll remember for next time I put in a request.

Back