What's new
What's new

Keyence Handheld Probe CMM

Ox

Diamond
Had one of these stop by on it's tour around today.

DSCN1692_zpsh9fydiqb.jpg

Apparently it's little sister made it to IMTS, but I didn't see it.

This thing is pretty slick in that there are no scales, motors, or anything other than optics. There is a pick-up unit (?) in the hood above, and it sees the move-able in X and C platform and the hand-held unit.

Said to be good down to three tenths.

I've never used a "real" CMM before, but I have looked at and drooled over the Faro Arms (Guage really) and this works the same, but way more accurate.

I was really going to be impressed if I could set it on the bed of Big Bertha and probe a part still in the chuck, but you can't swing the hand-held probe the other direction as the hood needs to see the front side of it at all times. So that wasn't going to work....

VERY portable unit, VERY shop-floor friendly!

I don't have a need for a unit like this right now, but if I needed a CMM, I would very much consider this unit. I would think that it is likely much faster than a mechanized CMM. (???)

I have looked at their shadow-graph / optic style before for a certain app that didn't pan out, but this is a completely different deal.

However - I'm afraid that an Arm or Rover is likely more up my alley yet, but those just don't have much resolution accuracy.

I will be interested to see where this concept expands into in the next 5 years!

A Coordinate Measuring Machine on a Whole New Level | KEYENCE America

[disclaimer]

Sorry if this has already been posted before. I seldom check this board.

[/disclaimer]

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

A version of this you could somehow turn around, so as to apply it to parts in the machine, or existing objects (some interface on a vehicle you are trying to match, say) would seem a no-brainer. (But I don't have to make it....)

Did they give you a notion of the price Ox?

50 K

Yeah, I bet in a few years they will have expanded this idea.
I wonder if bigger distances from the "hood" may result in reduced accuracy or not?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I saw one of these (or similar model) at the last IMTS. It looked very impressive when it was being demonstrated but the moment I asked to use it a little I was getting measurement that were way out of spec. Some measurements I took were more than 2mm (0.100") out. I tried over and over and it appeared to me that it must require some degree of experience as when I handed the probe back to the demo guy he was spot on again. I wanted to buy one but Keyence have not come up with a solid answer as to what is required to ensure reliable measurements. I am curious if anyone else has struggled with this.

Well, there are 7, count them _ 7 _ pads (?) on the remote that look like solar cells, and the hood needs to see them all as I understand. I wonder if you weren't holding the unit quite square enough with the hood for it to "see" clearly?

No - I did not operate it myself.

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Well, there are 7, count them _ 7 _ pads (?) on the remote that look like solar cells, and the hood needs to see them all as I understand. I wonder if you weren't holding the unit quite square enough with the hood for it to "see" clearly?

No - I did not operate it myself.

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I am aware of the laser pickups and the fact that one had to keep it orientated correctly. But somehow the accuracy appeared to be dependent on the speed that you are probing and the pressure the probe on the surface of the test object. That was what concerned me.

Keyence has come out with some pretty interesting products the past few years.

I am currently working on a project to see if we can inspect one of our parts on their "instant measurement" system

The Next Generation Optical Comparator | KEYENCE America

It is like an optical comparator on steroids. Once programmed, you just drop your parts on the table, and it finds and measures them. For the right type of parts with high inspection rates it would be a no brainer. Runs about $50K.

Only odd thing is that they don't currently offer any integration with rotary fixtures, which I need, so I have to be a bit creative in the approach. The part currently takes about 15 min to inspect one and 100% inspection, so there is a lot to be gained as our volumes climb from 500 pcs/year to several thousand.

Keyence has come out with some pretty interesting products the past few years.

I am currently working on a project to see if we can inspect one of our parts on their "instant measurement" system

The Next Generation Optical Comparator | KEYENCE America

It is like an optical comparator on steroids. Once programmed, you just drop your parts on the table, and it finds and measures them. For the right type of parts with high inspection rates it would be a no brainer. Runs about $50K.

Only odd thing is that they don't currently offer any integration with rotary fixtures, which I need, so I have to be a bit creative in the approach. The part currently takes about 15 min to inspect one and 100% inspection, so there is a lot to be gained as our volumes climb from 500 pcs/year to several thousand.

I have seen and worked with this unit and it is amazing. Extremely quick and easy to use. If I remember it is accurate to about 2 or 3 micron. One can check parts against a CAD model or even get features off a part for reverse engineering. Runs about $55k.

Back