What's new
What's new

Laser dial indicator

mario-mcc

Plastic
Have you guys ever heard about laser dial indicator? We might need something with .001" resolution and google didn't help me much.
We wanna do some gear alignments out it the field and we would like to do it without any contact, since there is no room and we can touch only sides of gear teeth, so that pin falls in the gap between teeth. So basically we wanna replace that "clock" with another "small cage" which would work based on laser (or any other non contact) technology.

Have you guys ever heard about laser dial indicator? We might need something with .001" resolution and google didn't help me much.
We wanna do some gear alignments out it the field and we would like to do it without any contact, since there is no room and we can touch only sides of gear teeth, so that pin falls in the gap between teeth. So basically we wanna replace that "clock" with another "small cage" which would work based on laser (or any other non contact) technology.
coupling alignment lasers require 2 items one clamped to each coupling half. some reflect off one item other type each item has a laser and a beam reader
search internet there are many brands

I haven't seen a small laser packaged like a dial indicator. I would have to see what you are are trying to do to know the best product for you but I use a lot of Keyence lasers for automation type work.

CMOS Multi-Function Analog Laser Sensor - IL series | KEYENCE America

High-speed, High-accuracy Digital Micrometer - LS-7 series | KEYENCE America

I actually have a couple of the LS-7000 optical micrometer setups for sale. They can be very useful for things like radial run out of and end mill or gear that can be annoying with a contact setup. You say there is no room, which might be an issue as non of this is as small as an indicator, so it depends what you mean by that.

Is this the sort of stuff you were thinking, or something else?

Back