What's new
What's new

Laser Micrometer

G-Auto

Hot Rolled
Can anyone recommend a laser micrometer that they have had good luck with? I need to measure 1.5" OD in a production grind operation off the machine.

Gordon,

I can surmise what a capability analysis is but if you could explain it better I would appreciate it. I have never done one. Thank you very much.

G-Auto --

A couple of decades ago, one of my wife's friends invited us to her family's Christmas party. We went, and in talking with her father-in-law, I learned that he worked for one of the major government defense contractors as a "captive consultant" specializing in manufacturing and machining technology. Since I put bread on my table as an alignment engineer, we talked shop.

During the course of our conversation, he told me that a significant portion of the process-capacity testing done at his employer's plants that showed machines to be "not process capable" were defective, and falsely identified process-capable machines as defective because of unrecognized setup or maintenance errors. He said the biggest single culprit was a low fluid level -- either coolant or lube oil -- but loose hardware in one or more of the machine's load paths that allowed slipping or vibration was also fairly common.

In the years since, I've concluded that the man taught a whole college-course worth of lessons in a few minutes of chit-chat.

John

he told me that a significant portion of the process-capacity testing done at his employer's plants that showed machines to be "not process capable" were defective, and falsely identified process-capable machines as defective because of unrecognized setup or maintenance errors.
It's always easier / cheaper / faster to find the fault than to find the cause of the fault.

- Leigh

Back