What's new
What's new

Last word durability question

Shadon

Hot Rolled
My little 15-0-15 indicator (asian knock off) finally bit the big one, got dropped about 2 feet to the lathe bed and has become unreliable.

My question is not to accuracy, but to durability, do the name brands hold up to "real life" conditions?

Am considering Brown & Sharpe, Mitutoyo or Starrett

Comments and advice welcome.

Short answer: YES! You get what you pay for.
What sort of accuracy / repeatability are you looking for? Are you making parts for yourself, or will they be flying high or diving deep?
Check these guys (Long Island Indicator) out for some brand-name comparisons: 037 : Dial Test Indicators

No matter which indicator you have, they aren't happy with a drop onto a hard surface - steel on steel (or concrete) equals a very large shock to the instrument, and whatever you have, it can be destroyed by the drop.

Other than dropping them, though, the brand names hold up very well. I have Starretts and Mitutoyos that are 30 years old that work fine. I bought a 1950's Starrett last year that just needed to have the stem oiled (with Starrett oil, naturally), and it is working perfectly.

Whenever you buy a Chinese tool, plan on it being a throw-away, because it won't last forever, and parts will be impossible to locate,

If you want a quality indicator, get an Interapid.

In my experience, Starrett Last Words have never been noted for their durability.

Neither Starrett nor Interapid make soccer balls. :D

- Leigh

Back