What's new
What's new

Liquid inside micrometer?

Rustypigeon

Plastic
Hello. I just bought a used Scherr Tumico 4-5 inch micromter. When I move it I hear a liquid inside the crane. Anyone ever see something like this? Why would the crane be hollow and why would there be liquid inside it?

Hi,

The heat of your hand will raise the temp of the crane causing it to expand which will reduce the accuracy of the mic. Most liquids have a high specific heat capacity compared to metals which means they require a larger amount of energy to raise their temperature. By filling the crane with a liquid it will make the temperature more stable (since more energy is required to change the temp.) and the accuracy of the mic will be improved.

Corbin

Is this a common practice, or just a Sherr Tumico trait? I have never seen it before, then again I have never had a micrometer > 4" before.

Hi,

I know it isn't very common anymore if it does exist at all. Most current mics have a plastic insulating piece on the crane that helps to reduce the transfer of heat from your hand to the mic. This is probably due to the fact that the plastic is cheaper and easier to implement.

Corbin

Do you think it came from the factory like that or did someone modify it? When I google it, I can't find anything on a liquid filled micrometer. It has just peaked my curiosity.

Hi,

I am not very familiar with Sherr Tumico micrometers and it may be a modification. I do think the reasoning behind it is sound and if nothing else it is certainly an interesting idea.

Corbin

I expect this is factory-original.

A field modification would require drilling a large hole into the body of the crane, large enough to hold the volume of liquid.
Such a hole (now sealed of course) should be readily apparent.

- Leigh

Of a hundred or so ST mics I've seen, none had liquid filled frames. Haven't seen that as a "feature" in the few Tumico and Scherr-Tumico catalogs I have. Is there any sign of frame damage?

Back