What's new
What's new

Looking for user feedback on Centering Scope / Edge finder

I thought these would be the cat's meow, so I bought a manual one. Perhaps it is me, but I could not use it accurately. I have not tried an electronic one as you depicted, but the manual ones in my experience are difficult to use and they suffer parallax error.

Morgan Steve ... Thanks very much for your input ...

There are two phrases that come to mind: "the price looks good - maybe its's too good to be true" and "You only get what you pay for!" - These thoughts come to mind but if folk have had good results then just maybe worth trying :rolleyes5:

John :cheers:

Hi John,
The reason to use these is the attempt for accuracy in locating holes. I cannot get the accuracy I wish with a scribe line, which in my mind makes the concept of optically locating a scribe line intersection moot. So, when I need perfect accuracy, I use my DRO. It is easier and I can have confidence in the result. Of course this is me, others may achieve better results.

but the manual ones in my experience are difficult to use and they suffer parallax error.
I don't know what ones you have used but if designed with proper optics there is no parallax error.

when I need perfect accuracy, I use my DRO.
Read the following thread for a thorough discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of centering microscopes as well as why a DRO is no substitute for one:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/centering-scope-milling-machine-handy-not-280307/

First, for any of these devices to be accurate you must calibrated them to the spindle, and know how to check and adjust that quickly. On my titan (non computer) scope you can rotate the spindle and see how the cross hair moves/doesn't. When the center mark doesn't move with rotation, there you are.

Second, if you are trying to pick up a printed mark, some scribe lines, and the like, scopes work well in my experience. But I don't do those tasks very often.

Third, it's not for edge finding - edges aren't nearly as good an optical reference as you might think.

Finally, if you chase the links through that ebay listing you'll end up at tomtinyshop.com where there is a link to calibration video. Might be worth looking at that - if you are using the sort of machine where the scope can be integrated into the controller like that, it would well be very handy.

But, it's not a substitute for a probe or an edgefinder - it's a complement.

Back