What's new
What's new

Master 3d gage?

Lazyman

Aluminum
Anyone have experience with a master 3d gage? I'm starting to get some RFQ's for more complex higher tolerance components and am considering investing in something like this assuming its fairly straight forward to use. Any ideas on cost before I even bother to give a sales person my contact info. I don't know anything about CMM's, but I know I need a better way to inspect parts besides some calipers and mics. I don't have a whole lot of metrology equipment so considering spending much bigger bucks on a tool like this and spending less accumulating a bunch of metrology equipment.

Master 3D Gage - Affordable Portable CMM For Education

I have seen another one called the Faro gage http://www.dirdim.com/prod_digitizers.htm

Anyone have experience with a master 3d gage? I'm starting to get some RFQ's for more complex higher tolerance components and am considering investing in something like this assuming its fairly straight forward to use. Any ideas on cost before I even bother to give a sales person my contact info. I don't know anything about CMM's, but I know I need a better way to inspect parts besides some calipers and mics. I don't have a whole lot of metrology equipment so considering spending much bigger bucks on a tool like this and spending less accumulating a bunch of metrology equipment.

Master 3D Gage - Affordable Portable CMM For Education

I have seen another one called the Faro gage http://www.dirdim.com/prod_digitizers.htm

It might help you get responses if you let members know what you mean by "more complex higher tolerance components".

What is "complex" and "higher tolerance" to you?

Personally in that situation I would contact a sales person, hear what he says and then post to verify how much is true and what, if anything, isn't.

I'm getting a lot more parts with +- .001" and shapes and sizes that can be difficult measure reliably. Yes I will eventually contact sales, but from their media and info it looks like it could do the job, but I prefer to see if someone has experiences with this type of product they are willing to share. The Faro Gage website says about $15-$20k on their site for the smaller arm with accuracy of .0007"

$15k for the Faro, as good as it is, only covers the arm and some basic software.
My guess is if you get the Mastergage from verisurf bundled with their Verisurf software it'll be a better price than getting verisurf running on the Faro arm.
Just a WAG.

The arms probably won't cut it if you need to hold +-.001". The accuracy of the arm is only slightly better than what you're trying to measure, so you'll be chasing your tail and getting false positives/negatives. I've only played around with the arms, but the people I know who use them a lot trust them for +-.003" or so work.

One key thing you haven't told us is how big an envelope you need.

Also, consider used CMM's if you're not doing high throughput work.

Parts up to 16" square but most are smaller than that. From what I have read, they don't seem reliable enough whether it's due to operator or the product. I'm open to a normal CMM, I have no experience or knowledge about the whole topic.

Parts up to 16" square but most are smaller than that. From what I have read, they don't seem reliable enough whether it's due to operator or the product. I'm open to a normal CMM, I have no experience or knowledge about the whole topic.

Sounds to me like you should get a salesperson to visit you or find a place you can visit to see how others do what you want to do.

Don't know how shops are in your neck of the woods but generally shops here are good at helping each other just as long as they aren't in direct competition.

We have two of the Faro arms at work and they can be quite unreliable for more complicated features or for tighter tolerances. One is stated to be +- .002 the other +- .0002. I trust the latter for a few thou at best. or 15' of angle.

I have not been impressed, but they are great for a portable application. I just don't feel they are a replacement for a CMM.

I think I will eventually try to get a demo and test it on some previously inspected part. If they are that bad I cant imagine them getting sales. Portability wont help if you cant trust it.

Back