What's new
What's new

Measuring UNF/UNEF threads without gages

JustinC7

Plastic
I work in an inspection lab, we often need to inspect UNF/UNEF threads (2x lead in some cases), and getting thread gages to inspect every possible variety woduld be very expensive.

I'm just curious to know what kind of devices exist that could be used to inspect UNF/UNEF threads (besides the three wire method) that are regarded as accurate and not too time consuming.

Thanks in advance.

I work in an inspection lab, we often need to inspect UNF/UNEF threads (2x lead in some cases), and getting thread gages to inspect every possible variety woduld be very expensive.

I'm just curious to know what kind of devices exist that could be used to inspect UNF/UNEF threads (besides the three wire method) that are regarded as accurate and not too time consuming.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sending you a PM as if I send it as general information some regard it as spamming.

Thanks in advance.

If it is both external and internal then 3 wires won't fly.

Hello, First post here! Sounds like you're looking for cheap, this ain't it! About 30K. It is fast though.
Fastest, most versatile O.D. thread inspection I have is my Starrett AVR 300 vision system with the thread module. My field of view is kind of small but it will stitch images together and pick thousands of points to measure major, minor, pitch diameter, and lead. We got the thread module thinking I could calibrate gages for internal threads. Nope, it's always a few tenths of a thou small on the PD. OK for parts, not gages. I still have to use the Pratt & Whitney LMU.

Thanks in advance.

Never a good idea to post and then vanish.

When you write as you have done it'd save all a great deal of time with more RELEVANT information. By that I mean diameter and whether external or internal or both.

Back