What's new
What's new

Metrology Handbook - Mitutoyo

M Stewart

Plastic
I visited the Model Engineering Exhibition at the Warwickshire Exhibition Centre yesterday, and came across the following paper back, published in 2007:

Metrology Handbook

It's fairly lavishly printed on decent paper, and as far as I'm able to judge, covers the subject well. I don't know if it's available in the US, but I can't see why not.

(I'm retired - no connections with Mitutoyo etc.)

M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK.

Haven't done it recently, so perhaps it no longer works, but I've ordered stuff from amazon.co.uk for delivery into the USA with no trouble. Won't do any good in this particular case, as it's not available on the UK Amazon site either.

I'm not trying to be negative but if you thought it was good why didn't you buy a copy, or did you? I'm getting the impression you leafed through it and you were more fascinated with the pictures and that you didn't really read anything.

Here are a couple of quotes from the PREFACE at the bottom of the link in the OP.

"PREFACE

This book is produced primarily as a source of reference for students attending the Basic Metrology course at the Mitutoyo Institute of Metrology. The content is based on having taught tens of thousands of engineers in the metalworking field, an experience which highlighted the need for a wide-ranging source of information to provide answers to the many questions raised during Mitutoyo dimensional metrology seminars.
Mitutoyo’s Metrology Handbook was first issued in the USA. This edition is closely based on the original while being revised and extended for the UK market."

There's also "While primarily intended for trainees who attend courses run by the Mitutoyo Institute of Metrology, this book is also a very useful reference for any reader whether a skilled engineer, apprentice or student."

Has anyone attended one of these courses as it's probably still included in the price of the course?

I'm not trying to be negative but if you thought it was good why didn't you buy a copy, or did you? I'm getting the impression you leafed through it and you were more fascinated with the pictures and that you didn't really read anything....

Of course I bought a copy*, and am enjoying the read. Being an exhibition purchase, it came with the 63pp Mitutoyo's "Quick Guide to Machining" for £25. In many ways it seems more down to earth than other books and papers on the subject that I've read.

*Over the many years I've lived here the space for me has reduced as my collection of books, magazines, and textbooks has gradually increased. I really should have installed library shelving decades ago!

M Stewart
Milton keynes, UK

Of course I bought a copy*, and am enjoying the read. Being an exhibition purchase, it came with the 63pp Mitutoyo's "Quick Guide to Machining" for £25. In many ways it seems more down to earth than other books and papers on the subject that I've read.

*Over the many years I've lived here the space for me has reduced as my collection of books, magazines, and textbooks has gradually increased. I really should have installed library shelving decades ago!

M Stewart
Milton keynes, UK

Considering that the Mitutoyo catalogues are about the best I've seen, then there is no reason any other books/manuals they make shouldn't be first class.

The reason I asked the way I did was your remark on not knowing if it was available in the USA as it seems to have been one of the first things written in it that it was first published in the USA.

Book shelves aren't expensive and it's never to late to start ;) :cheers:

On a side note I know the guy (he retired a couple of years ago) that held Mitutoyo training classes and in fact he lives in the same city as I do. Anyone attending an exhibition in Europe where Mitutoyo was present would probably have seen him.
His replacement has been VERY anonymous.

The Mitutoyo importer is also in my city and less than 10 minutes drive from me.

Unfortunately, although they are available in the UK's version of the MSC catalog(ue) on your link, I just searched but can't find them in the U.S. catalog. For some reason it seems Mitutoyo wants to keep this information out of the hands of Americans...

Looks like it's just a UK publication. Here it is on Mit's UK site, also noticeably absent on their US one. Google brings up copies on Amazon and eBay as well, shouldn't be difficult to get your hands on a copy if you really wanted it. It is a really nicely presented textbook, lots of pictures and graphical data to back up the text.

Having read some more, I'm now guessing that the problem is that the UK edition has been written to comply strictly with BS8888 - with respect to the use of a comma as the decimal marker for metric dimensions. As such, I guess it won't comply with US usage.
Once I'd latched on to it, it started annoying me - and I spent 40 years in UK avionics engineering, but at least we were using metric only. The book uses both Imperial (US) standards and Metric (ISO).

Back