What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo 505-637 parts

justa3valve

Plastic
I inherited an old pair of Mitutoyo 505-637 d6 BT calipers from my grandfather when he passed. The set seemed to be skipping when I first picked them up and upon further inspection and tear down one of the gears inside is smashed. Does anyone know where I could possibly find parts for this specific set because I would also like a new rack for it too.

Attachments

• IMG_3272.jpg
    IMG_3272.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_3273.jpg
    IMG_3273.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_3275.jpg
    IMG_3275.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 679
  • IMG_3274.jpg
    IMG_3274.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 303
This will probably be an unpopular comment to some but if I were you I'd keep the caliper "as is" and keep it as a souvenir.

It just won't be your grandfather's caliper if you try and make it again "as good as new".

If you want to repair it because you intend using it again then probably cheaper to buy a new one.

Reminds me of the story about the guy showing off his hammer to friends.

"Been in the family for generations. Five new handles and two new heads and still as good as new".

As said, just my opinion.

Thanks for your opinion; I have a set that I use everyday but I'd like to have a little set for backup incase soemthing happens to them. Also I am of the opinion that you should try to fix something instead of replacing it right away. It's kinda like just because the thread in your mills drawbar strips it doesn't mean you replace the whole machine.

Thanks for your opinion; I have a set that I use everyday but I'd like to have a little set for backup incase soemthing happens to them. Also I am of the opinion that you should try to fix something instead of replacing it right away. It's kinda like just because the thread in your mills drawbar strips it doesn't mean you replace the whole machine.

Of course it's completely up to you and hopefully it can be used as back-up.

To me it's like restoring a vintage car with "off the shelf new parts" parts more than getting a machine fixed.

However, every time you change something it loses just a bit of its sentimental value. I suppose the choice is between practicality and sentimentality. We're all different :cheers:

Back