What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo CMM training?

I've taken all my mcosmos training at their local training facility. For machine specific training (CNC Surfcom, CNC Contracer) we have them come to our plant.

The course cost is generally less expensive if you go to their facility, but when you factor in travel and living expenses, if you're sending in more than one person....

The problem with a generic class is the trainer has to go at the pace of the slowest person. You also tend to learn a lot about how to measure parts that you'll never produce.

Bringing someone in can be less expensive, especially if you find a non-OEM source. This will allow you to learn on your parts and your machine. The downsides tend to be the constant interruptions and the lack of training materials (mostly from non-OEM sources). Creating training materials is very, very time consuming, I figured out it was taking me 4-6 hours to prepare one hour of instruction. What I'm saying is, take copious notes.

I've had the opportunity to train a few hundred people over the years, both in the generic setting and on site. What I found to be most effective is - 2 days on site, trainer led, about 2-3 people. This means leave your parts alone, we're going to concentrate on the stuff you don't think you need the CMM for. 2-6 weeks later trainer comes in for another day, answering the questions that have arisen (that haven't been answered via email), and getting into more specifics about your parts. Generally, this is sufficient, but if you have CAD it may require another day.

This only works if the company you're going to use doesn't hit you hard on travel costs (I, personally, rarely charged travel time) and has good email support.

Four or five day training classes are too much. Invariably every Wednesday PM I'd see the eyes starting glaze over and the grey matter slowly leaking. The important stuff that was covered late day 1/early day 2 becomes forgotten already..... what I'm saying is it's much less effective.

The course cost is generally less expensive if you go to their facility, but when you factor in travel and living expenses, if you're sending in more than one person....

The problem with a generic class is the trainer has to go at the pace of the slowest person. You also tend to learn a lot about how to measure parts that you'll never produce.

Bringing someone in can be less expensive, especially if you find a non-OEM source. This will allow you to learn on your parts and your machine. The downsides tend to be the constant interruptions and the lack of training materials (mostly from non-OEM sources). Creating training materials is very, very time consuming, I figured out it was taking me 4-6 hours to prepare one hour of instruction. What I'm saying is, take copious notes.

I've had the opportunity to train a few hundred people over the years, both in the generic setting and on site. What I found to be most effective is - 2 days on site, trainer led, about 2-3 people. This means leave your parts alone, we're going to concentrate on the stuff you don't think you need the CMM for. 2-6 weeks later trainer comes in for another day, answering the questions that have arisen (that haven't been answered via email), and getting into more specifics about your parts. Generally, this is sufficient, but if you have CAD it may require another day.

This only works if the company you're going to use doesn't hit you hard on travel costs (I, personally, rarely charged travel time) and has good email support.

Four or five day training classes are too much. Invariably every Wednesday PM I'd see the eyes starting glaze over and the grey matter slowly leaking. The important stuff that was covered late day 1/early day 2 becomes forgotten already..... what I'm saying is it's much less effective.
We would prefer to bring someone to our facility but can't seem to find an authorized Mcosmos trainer.

The biggest problem with in-house training is that invariably "work issues" interrupt the training and they all begin with "this will only take a second..."

We would prefer to bring someone to our facility but can't seem to find an authorized Mcosmos trainer.

I think by "authorized" you're referring to the OEM or a distributor? If you don't have local distribution, that should leave you as a "free agent", just get the distributor list from the website and send out a few inquiries.

There are a decent number of third party houses across the country, though, that may not have been anointed by Mit but could be very capable. Treat them like you would any potential new hire, though - ask for customer references and actually call them. When I was a third party I had no issue providing that information, often giving the names off the top of my head of recent training customers (based on memory, the only time I had to get back to people with it was if I couldn't remember phone numbers).

And I agree with Holescreek, the work interruptions can be an issue.

Old thread, I know, but it seems nearly impossible to find reliable information on MCOSMOS, other than links to send money to.

As for the subject at-hand, I was pretty much handed the keys and told to take it for a spin. It took a few slow nights at work where I used the time to poke around in it and learn the program.

Now I'm writing basic training material for the benefit of the other Q.A. Inspectors in the Lab.

I taught myself how to set up new/different Probes, and use the calibration ball to get them working.

I can also make it print out reports, though they do require markups or direct explanations. I am trying to find or figure out the way to customize the report in the built-in Protocol Designer, as the default template I use (Mitutoyo Standard Report) contains a fair amount of "useless" (for lack of a better term) information; number of points in an element, program line number, etc.
It's slow-going just poking through the 300 tons of dialogs and entry points and sub-menus in the Protocol Designer, so unless I stumble across an ancient tome of form-building, we're stuck with excess data and hand-crafted notes.

CMM training

I think by "authorized" you're referring to the OEM or a distributor? If you don't have local distribution, that should leave you as a "free agent", just get the distributor list from the website and send out a few inquiries.

There are a decent number of third party houses across the country, though, that may not have been anointed by Mit but could be very capable. Treat them like you would any potential new hire, though - ask for customer references and actually call them. When I was a third party I had no issue providing that information, often giving the names off the top of my head of recent training customers (based on memory, the only time I had to get back to people with it was if I couldn't remember phone numbers).

And I agree with Holescreek, the work interruptions can be an issue.

I personally worked for Mitutoyo America for 10 years as an Application engineer and cmm software trainer. I personally made the GeoMeasure training manuals and helped with the Mcosmos. Sense leaving MTI I have trained hundreds of customers at there site and mine. It is important to get good quality training. Someone that will help you if you don't understand GD&T and how to apply it to your cmm programs correctly and how to establish your Datum structure correctly.
Sincerely Jerry Guffy
Residing in Austin Tx. Former employee of Mitutoyo in Indianapolis In.

Last edited:

Back