What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo Dial Caliper Repair

allloutmx

Titanium
image.jpg

Id like to salvage these calipers if I can. Felt real chunky and came to a halt at around .250. I was able to get them apart this far but im not sure how to take the dial and its housing off the beam. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

I'd be more worried about the rack. I just cleaned one of mine the other day. It was useless and no amount of cleaning while it was together seemed to help. I don't recall what brand it was but it had a brass rack that was screwed into place.

I took the screws out and slid the rack off of the 'beam' (or whatever it is called) along with the dial portion of the instrument. I was afraid to remove one without the other because the teeth on the rack stopped a bit before each end and I was afraid that I would damage something trying to force the dial gear over the un-toothed portion.

To clean out the teeth on the rack it I used brake cleaner and a fine NYLON brush wheel on a Dremel tool, as I'm sure that even the slightest amount of material removal from the rack would ruin it's accuracy. I haven't tested it yet with gauge blocks but it works very smoothly now.

My mistake... I thought you had fooled me. Sometime I see spam on here...
Thanks for making me look again. After looking closer i found the part about DIY repair. Sorry about that.

Yeah looking back at my reply I sound a bit too cheery and fake, and spambots usually make their links perfectly tailored to the topic so I understand where you're coming from. But back to the topic, Long Island Indicator has tons of info on small repairs and I like their reviews of measuring tools because they see what goes wrong with different brands.

Connor

Back