What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo Digital Indicator and Batteries

crashtestdummy

Hot Rolled
I have an old Mitutoyo 543-135B digital indicator that I just replaced the battery in. It takes 2 batteries, 357 or LR44, the same as most Mitutoyo digital mikes and calipers. So I put in only one battery and it seems to work just fine. What do I get with the other battery added? Twice the accuracy?

I have an old Mitutoyo 543-135B digital indicator that I just replaced the battery in. It takes 2 batteries, 357 or LR44, the same as most Mitutoyo digital mikes and calipers. So I put in only one battery and it seems to work just fine. What do I get with the other battery added? Twice the accuracy?

I'd say that the polarity of two batteries would give you 3V. Maybe you're running on 1½V? You'll probably still have +/- contact with one battery - just don't tremble :) If I were you I'd use SR44 rather than LR44.

There's something really weird here.

If the two batteries are in series and you only have one installed, there's no continuity through the supply and it should not work at all.

- Leigh

Unlike a normal torch battery the poles on "chubby" button type batteries are "bottom" and OD. As long as there is contact both places you have current in motion. CR2032 (thin) is I believe "top/bottom".

I will just add that my "suggestion" was a guess as I've never owned or seen a caliper needing two batteries.

I do always have a small stock of batteries and most are SR44 (1½V) and a few CR2032 (3V).

Gordon

One two-battery configuration that I've encountered has the cells side-by-side, with one cell pointing up and the other pointing down.
The two contacts below the batteries are the positive and negative connections to the power rails.
The battery cover has a metal plate that connects the two "tops" together, forming a series circuit.

If only one battery is installed, there is no connection to one of the two power rails.

There are also configurations where the two batteries are stacked one atop the other. In this case no interconnect is required.
However, a single 1.5-volt battery will not fill the chamber, and thus no connection to one of the rails.

A variation on the stacked configuration uses a single 3-volt lithium battery, which is twice the height of a single SR44 1.5-volt battery.
This enables the use of two SR44 or one lithium in the same equipment, providing the same functionality.
I've not seen the stacked configuration used in mics or calipers where thickness is an issue.

- Leigh

I said nothing about a CR2032.

I said there was a lithium battery that is the same diameter as the SR44 and twice the height.

- Leigh

On the indicator in question, the 2 batteries are side by side, both have the same face up. When I turned it on, the display was dim and the B was displayed. I put one battery in and I noticed that the B was off, and the display was brighter. I never bothered putting in the second battery.

I said nothing about a CR2032.

I said there was a lithium battery that is the same diameter as the SR44 and twice the height.

- Leigh

I didn't say you did but those two types of batteries are the only ones I've ever seen in a digital caliper. OTOH I'm not saying that a digital caliper using another type doesn't exist. I've just never seen or heard of it.

Also OTOH the thread is about digital indicators and I've never really had much to do with their batteries.

Gordon

On the indicator in question, the 2 batteries are side by side, both have the same face up. When I turned it on, the display was dim and the B was displayed. I put one battery in and I noticed that the B was off, and the display was brighter. I never bothered putting in the second battery.

Anything I have with 2 or more batteries I always change ALL the batteries when power sinks. Don't believe everything you hear about Scots :D

Gordon

Mitutoyo indicator.

OK. That suggests that the two batteries are used in parallel to increase the useful life. That's unusual but not unheard of.

- Leigh

I have a dozen or so of those (mine are Johansson, but are made by Mitutoyo) and have always used one battery in them. Two batteries extend the working time, but It takes a lot of use to run just one battery down. Some shops leave them on 24/7 and need two batts.
Charles

I have a dozen or so of those (mine are Johansson, but are made by Mitutoyo) and have always used one battery in them. Two batteries extend the working time, but It takes a lot of use to run just one battery down. Some shops leave them on 24/7 and need two batts.
Charles

Thanks for a real life experience. I might turn mine on once every couple of months.

I have a couple of single battery indicators that haven't been on in years. I leave my calipers with batteries in them, because they are used at least weekly. My micrometer and depth gauge are left with the batteries out.

Thanks for a real life experience. I might turn mine on once every couple of months.

I have a couple of single battery indicators that haven't been on in years. I leave my calipers with batteries in them, because they are used at least weekly. My micrometer and depth gauge are left with the batteries out.

Isn't the time taken taking batteries out and putting them back in more time consuming (thus expensive) than leaving them in? You also increase the risk of breaking the contact with frequent outs and ins.

1 pc. SR44 costs $3, 10 pcs. $2.15 and 50 pcs. $1.82 each.

Gordon

Isn't the time taken taking batteries out and putting them back in more time consuming (thus expensive) than leaving them in? You also increase the risk of breaking the contact with frequent outs and ins.

1 pc. SR44 costs $3, 10 pcs. $2.15 and 50 pcs. $1.82 each.

Gordon
If I have to change the battery every time I go to use the tool, then I still have to open it up and take out the battery. I also have to walk up to the front office and get a battery, or steal one out of another digital tool.

Most of my digital devices have the battery left in them, but I have a couple that will eat batteries if they are left in. All of my digitals are Mitutoyo and all except one use the same 357/303 etc. button battery.

All of my digitals are Mitutoyo and all except one use the same 357/303 etc. button battery.
Many Mitutoyo gauges are always on. The power button (if present) only controls the LCD display. The internal circuitry continues to run.

They do that in order to retain the zero point setting while the tool is unused, and enable continuous monitoring of movement.

Even if you move the jaws while off, the reading updates and remains correct.

- Leigh

Back