What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo Digital Metric Calipers jumping around.

Garadactyl

Plastic
So I have a pair of near new Mitutoyo Absolute Digimatic 500-184-30 calipers and after about a couple weeks of use, the readout started displaying an E in the hundredths place and then a couple days later the readout would jump around. For example, at this moment if I take it to 15.55 it jumps back to 10.36mm, then I will take it up to 16.27mm and it jumps back up to 20mm (which would be the correct measurement at this point). and does this the full 150mm length of the calipers. Now I have made sure that the scale is clean and dry inside but I am still getting this issue.

I would have send them to warranty right away. Bad apples happen once in a while even for brand names.
Depending where you bought yours the other possibility is that they are low quality Chinese counterfeits.

Do let us know haw this plays out...how much it costs to return.. if they replace defect item...

Wait.." near new" that may be the problem.

Near new just means that we bought them new, and have been using them for a few weeks. These were bought from a trusted supplier and were made in Japan.y
I am just not sure if taking off the seal to get to the screws voids any warranty cause I did take the cover off to clean the scale once this issue started.

So I have a pair of near new Mitutoyo Absolute Digimatic 500-184-30 calipers and after about a couple weeks of use, the readout started displaying an E in the hundredths place and then a couple days later the readout would jump around. For example, at this moment if I take it to 15.55 it jumps back to 10.36mm, then I will take it up to 16.27mm and it jumps back up to 20mm (which would be the correct measurement at this point). and does this the full 150mm length of the calipers. Now I have made sure that the scale is clean and dry inside but I am still getting this issue.

only time i have seen that is when oil or coolant gets on it

spray it with electronics cleaner / alcohol and blow it out with compressed air very thoroughly through every way you can including in through the battery compartment. If that doesn't work send for warranty

Probably won't help, but try resetting the absolute zero (not the relative zero) with the jaws as far apart as they will go, then reset it again with the jaws closed. Then try running it through its paces again to see if the error still appears. This sometimes works when similar errors appear on the 570 Series height gages, but it may not help your situation, just thought it might be worth a try.

The condition is consistent with damage underneath the circuit board, the part that slides over the scale when the reader head is moved. Usually happens when coolant and chips get between them and scratches the board. If you think you've already blown the warranty, pull the sticker off the back and remove the 4 screws to pull the reader off and look at the back of the board. If you find scratches, clean them very well then put a light coat of fingernail polish over them (color is your choice) and reassemble.

Newer coolant proof calipers are awesome. If yours is not even high humidity can cause that. I've had luck setting the unit under a light bulb to warm it and dry it out... easy to try with no risk anyway

1. I would have send them to warranty right away. Bad apples happen once in a while even for brand names.
2. Depending where you bought yours the other possibility is that they are low quality Chinese counterfeits.

1. True. I've seen faults on genuine Mitutoyos.

2. Also true but Chinese companies can make high quality calipers. The problem is that most dealers and importers want "cheap" so that's what they get.

There should be an IP no. on it. What is it?

IP Rating Chart | DSMT.com

There should be an IP no. on it. What is it?

IP Rating Chart | DSMT.com

that model number appears not to be coolant proof and has no rating, likely the problem.

Gordon, on a side note I saw your thread on p.d. measurement of API rotary shouldered connections, sort of an old thread but I just joined and spilled what I knew.
I posted links to the applicable API standard and the updated Baker Hughes handbook, a fairly large number of replies you got were giving you obsolete drawings, fractional tolerances were eliminated several years ago so any drawing showing them is obsolete... not sure if you are still looking for info but I was bored anyway

that model number appears not to be coolant proof and has no rating, likely the problem.

Gordon, on a side note I saw your thread on p.d. measurement of API rotary shouldered connections, sort of an old thread but I just joined and spilled what I knew.
I posted links to the applicable API standard and the updated Baker Hughes handbook, a fairly large number of replies you got were giving you obsolete drawings, fractional tolerances were eliminated several years ago so any drawing showing them is obsolete... not sure if you are still looking for info but I was bored anyway

I'm always looking for all the info I can get :cheers:
If you click on my name (and aka) I'd appreciate anything you send via email and I'd return the favour.

To me API threads are a jungle but as long as the customer gives me a drawing of the thread they want measured then I sleep easy :)

By comparison Buttress threads are a walk in the park. Surprising though how many different types there are.

http://f-m-s.dk/Buttress Thread Measurement.pdf

I claim there isn't a thread I can't figure out how to measure and am still waiting for the day someone makes me eat my words LOL It will probably happen one day :eek:

Back