What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo DRO compatibility

medwards

Aluminum
I have an older Mitutoyo DRO on my mill shown below. The readout model number is GML-3705w.

Can I retrofit a reader from a newer mitutoyo dro and keep the old scales? Does this old readout have any value (it still works)?

CIMG0249.jpg

CIMG0250.jpg

CIMG0253.jpg

Probably. I have seen adaper plugs for new readout boxes and old glass scale connectors. Mititoyo can tell you. No idea what value the old one is, put it on Ebay and find out.

I have a similar vintage Mitutoyo display which I use to test all manner of linear and rotary encoders. These are simple and rugged. Worth about $100 on ebay.
Main problem with newer displays connecting to older scales is need for adapter to mate plug on scale to display. Your display connector has +5vdc, com, A, B, index. (five wire.). Newer displays are made for at least 9 wire scales. They still are based on ttl signals but connectors are almost always needed. Of course, they really stick it to you when purchase these.

jh

I knew that would get asked eventually. Plenty of reasons. First; I'm more familiar with the latest model mitutoyo dro. Second; I just finished rebuilding the head on the mill to like new, the ways are in perfect condition and overall the machine is like new. The control works fine but some of the buttons are sticky or don't work. I've pulled the control apart and cleaned the button contacts, but they still don't work 100%.

So, I want to replace it because it's the low point of an otherwise fantastic machine. I wan't the functionality and ease of use of the new reader. And I bought the mill so cheap, I have plenty of money left over in my budget to replace it.

Back to the original question.

I found the adapter part number to hook up a KA counter in this thread. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1146506&postcount=3 A quick search showed a price of $35 each for the adapters.
Mitutoyo's KA counter lists at $521. You usually find them around $450.

If the scales have a 6 pin round connector, you can use a 09AAA207 adapter (1 per scale).
If the scales have a 7 pin round connector, the scales must be replaced. There is no adapter.
If the scales have 15 pin D-sub they will connect direct.

If are going to look for something used, make sure to ask about the above connectors on that unit.

I have a similar readout that is a for parts. If you are interested I can dig it 0ut and check the keypad. The transformer is bad in mine.

Back