What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo Height Gage Not Measuring Correctly

Christy K

Plastic
I have a 24" digital Mitutoyo height gage (192-607) that is not measuring correctly. Everytime I raise it up and take it back to the zero point on the surface plate, it gains about 0.020". Also, if I raise it very far, after I have lowered it a short way, the display faults out to all 8's. The batteries were changed and that didn't seam to improve anything. Any ideas on what I can do to fix it?

I have a 24" digital Mitutoyo height gage (192-607) that is not measuring correctly. Everytime I raise it up and take it back to the zero point on the surface plate, it gains about 0.020". Also, if I raise it very far, after I have lowered it a short way, the display faults out to all 8's. The batteries were changed and that didn't seam to improve anything. Any ideas on what I can do to fix it?

Send it to Mitutoyo. If they can't fix it no one can. If nothing else they used to sell you a new one for half price if it could not be repaired.

Based on what you describe, it sounds like the encoder signal needs to be tuned up or the rotor may be loose. If Mitutoyo can't (or won't) repair it, check with some calibration labs that offer repair services, but ask specifically if they can tune up the encoder.

There are two gears on the back of your encoder and one of them has a spring which keeps tension on the gear to eliminate backlash among other things. Your height gauge has been dropped or hit in such a way that the spring tension has been lost. There is a thread somewhere here that describes what is necessary to reset it.

Back