What's new
What's new

Moore Universal Measuring Machine. #3 with encoders. Need encoder readout help.

NateA2

Cast Iron
Hello all. I am pleased to say that I now own two 1&1/2 MM's and two #3 MM's.

One of the 1&1/2's is believed by Moore to be the prototype 1&1/2 MM.

Anyway, two of the MM's have Dynamics Research absolute encoders. One of the MM's came with the original C-tek dual axis display, however the display is flaky. Being from 1972, its a miracle it even powers up.

I would like to replace the readout with a modern substitute. I am thinking that I could use something like this- http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/290879795058?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Can anyone offer any insight? the encoders I have are 5v absolute.

Pics to follow if anyone wants to see the 4 MM's.

As my friend said to me- "you now have the highest concentration of Moore MM's in the known universe"

If the encoder is absolute, the actual position is encoded at each point. The display you mention expects an incremental encoder, where the entire encoder is a series of parallel lines, all the same width and space.

You might be able to get away with it, if the encoder scale you have has multiple trackcs and one of the encoder tracks you have is continuous lines.

What models are the C-Tek display and Dynamic Research encoders?
I might be able to help. I have old product literature from C-Tek and Dynamics Research as well as some correspondence with William Sheehan (former owner of C-Tek)

Ed

Back