What's new
What's new

Need help to identify this machinist level

darwin.pakam

Plastic
I am new to this forum please tell me if I do wrong :)

recently I bought A machinist level. I have never seen a level like that before
it it kind of unique design
there are words written in russian language on the body of the instrument.
is it fine if I post this question and attach some pics here?

Thank you.
Darwin

Last edited:
Recently I bought A machinist level. I have never seen a level like that before
there are words written in russian language on the body of the instrument.
is it fine if I post this question and attach some pics here?
Hi Darwin, and welcome aboard.

Yes, that's fine. Pictures are important in this case.

I split this post off into its own new thread.

- Leigh

Thank you Leigh!
I have just search the web and found a match,
it is a gunner's quadran :
CAM00446.jpg
CAM00451.jpg
CAM00455.jpg
CAM00458.jpg
CAM00462.jpg

I have been looking for machinist level for hand scraping for a while
and I found this level on the market, I thought it was a machinist level so I bought it :(
will the level vial sensitive enough for hand scraping purpose?
if it is not, is it possible if I replace the vials with something more sensitive?

thanks
Darwin.

I can't see it being able to do what you bought it for but I wouldn't be surprised if you could find someone in PM interested enough to buy it :)
Maybe even exchange for something that can do what you want.

I can't see it being able to do what you bought it for but I wouldn't be surprised if you could find someone in PM interested enough to buy it :)
Maybe even exchange for something that can do what you want.
I would love to if someone willing to exchange with a good machinist level since I cant find any use of this instrument for me.
what machinist level will you recommend for use in hand scraping?

I would love to if someone willing to exchange with a good machinist level since I cant find any use of this instrument for me.

I haven't scraped since I was an apprentice so I'm not the person that can help but I know there are at least a couple of members that can. I'd suggest you change the title of the thread to something with the word "scraping" in it (maybe Leigh can help you with that) or start a new thread with the word "scraping" in it and probably in another forum.

I might get corrected but I've never heard of a "scraping level" but perhaps "scraping plate" is closer to what you're looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj6jmQxZe8s

Last edited:
there are many Chinese machinist levels with vials of 0.02mm/m, normally this type of level sensitivity makes it good for nothing else but machine scraping. what ever you are measuring needs to be fairly perfect level or the level vial bubble will be off to one side so much as to be unreadable. Some level have a Vee bottom and some just have a flat scraped surface. Wyler
Overview Products, WYLER AG, WYLER AG is the leading manufacturer of precision spirit levels, Cross spirit levels, Circular spirit levels, clinometer, inclinometer, inclination measuring instruments, tilt sensor
....... Wyler has the greatest selection of precision levels that i know of in the world providing you have enough money to afford them.
......... this is why normally you will need 2 levels. a lower sensitivity level of 0.4mm/m will be needed first to help get the object rough leveled first. at 1/4 of a level division thats 0.1mm/m and roughly thats about the maximum a 0.02 mm/m level can begin to read
.......... in your country i have no clue where you would buy tools. often in bigger cities a taxi driver might know where a big tool store is. in the USA we usually order over the internet and those types of levels can be extremely expensive

I'll might get corrected but I've never heard of a "scraping level" but perhaps "scraping plate" is closer to what you're looking for.

it just means a level accurate enough to aid in scraping.

the level is used in scraping to observe the relative positioning between two geometries......here for example I'm using a level (on v blocks scraped for this job) to make sure the two ways on this tool and cutter grinder are in the same plane (ie one's not going uphill and one downhill). Second photo shows the overall layout - 2 inverted v ways (you're looking at the upside down saddle of a T&CG). btw, in the second photo i'm checking if they're diverging or not by sweeping an indicater between them....the two tests combined tell you you are parallel.

I might get corrected but I've never heard of a "scraping level" but perhaps "scraping plate" is closer to what you're looking for.
i make cnc gear making machines. one of the tests is to use a sensitive short level at least 0.02mm/m sensitive. actually the one we use is about 100mm long and far more sensitive than that. it is slid along every 100 to 150 mm specifically connected to a computer to show how flat or wavy over 1.5 meter long surfaces are. we find 2 types of error
1) localized hardness variation in the metal that create high spots of 0.01 mm or higher
2) cnc mill servo was acting up and machine was going up and down while machining again sometimes greater than 0.01mm
.......... in theory we could scrape the high spots but of course normally we just mill it another 0.012mm
not everybody in the world can afford expensive precision levels but i saw plenty in China all different types 0.02mm/m graduated vials costing $20 to $30 with scraped bottoms. it is normal in many places to see people doing hundreds if not thousands of hours of manual work including scraping surfaces as labor is much cheaper there compared to tools and equipment.
.......... if anything i had a hard time finding less sensitive precision levels. finding a 0.05mm/m level was rare if anything they kept trying to sell me 0.01mm/m levels. i saw many used machine tool places with hundreds of mills, lathes, grinders, edm, machines for sale. buying a used machine and having somebody recondition it by spending weeks if not months on it was not considered unusual.
...... many modern machines have precision linear bearing rails installed. The mounting surface must be verified flat and after the precision rails are install they are verified as flat, straight and parallel and perpendicular to other axises. besides levels we also use 0.002 mm dial indicators and granite squares as well as other tools

Thank you for all the advice guys :)
I think I will just give it back to the seller or exchange with something else and hopefully he will accept it.
I think the seller also have precision level China made. 200mm. 0.02mm per 1000mm master precision level May be I will give it a try

I also considering buy a China made granite surface plate
the thing is it is sell with out grade information. just word "Precision Granite Surface plate" 630mmx630mm
for $375 I know in some US site it sell for less but here I could not find any cheaper than that
maybe some one here have experience with China made SP? it is good enough for scraping purpose?

Back