What's new
What's new

New Mikrometer

The old Starrett catalogs had a picture of 2 people measuring the length of a Volkswagon with a large micrometer.

Time was, we had a dozen speciality "gage maker" firms that were expert in the bending / not of odd-shaped task-specific frames that held stock micrometer heads, snap gages, or dials.

AFAIK, near-as-dammit ALL of that has gone over to lasers and wee tiny radio wave connectivity of one sort or another, and "a while" ago, not just ongoing.

Costly, though getting cheaper and better by the year - and waaay more flexible as to use.

Gordon B. Clarke
user-online.png
Diamond

Join Date May 2010 Location Denmark Posts 17,539 Post Thanks / Like Likes (Given) 3422 Likes (Received) 5417​

[h=2]
icon1.png
[/h]
Look and learn folks. Monarchist and converterking are giving lessons on how to troll.​

You taught me well.

It's sad when the micrometer is worth more than the car.

Also predictable.

Best antidote for what road salt did to unibody Vee Dubs wudda been to crush 'em before they left Germany and tin Hofbrau Dark Reserve beer with the metal instead.

Better yet - find out how Europe manages to NOT eat-up so much sheet-metal and so rapidly as we can do, here.

Look and learn folks. Monarchist and converterking are giving lessons on how to troll.

"Lessons?"

************'s sake, Gordo!

Easily a dozen or four PM members have tried for multiple years to get you to make a distinction between contributing SOMETHING USEFUL - anything, really - and staging yet-another episode in the never-ending saga of low-self-esteem "attention bids" you so crave.

D'you think anyone here actually GIVES a damn about score-keeping on "trolling"?

Yeah. You probably do... and THAT is a waste in its own right.

The majority of my posts are on technical, tooling, and business issues, not political ones.

You'd never know that. You don't even READ "the real PM" forums.

Make your wee head hurt, do those?

Grand. Just stay out of them. We'll all be the better for it.

I hope that's not built with intentions of actually being used to measure anything. As light as that is? Good luck ever finding size....

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I hope that's not built with intentions of actually being used to measure anything. As light as that is? Good luck ever finding size....

More fit to a purpose than might first appear.

There was lots of stuff like that from the likes of Dorsey Gage and many others back in the day. It took two of us, and walking on eggs careful at that to use a 60" vernier caliper to bring in a 46" turntable bearing seat, 100 ton crane body.

This mic? Still a two-man job if you have your priorities right, but flex you check against a standard for 'feel' and check again - one reading is never enough, each go.

You knew that.

Way better than whatever is in second-place .... most especially when it is all you have!

:)

Back