What's new
What's new

NOGA = Best Quality Magnetic Bases?

Paul Cataldo

Stainless
I was wondering if there is anything better available than the NOGA magnetic indicator bases?
I mean, the NOGA's are ok I guess, but when I received my very first NOGA base, I was disappointed to see that the "fine adjustment" mechanism on the end of the arm was made of plastic. This is obviously getting to be more and more the norm these days, but is there a better unit available? one without plastic perhaps?
OR, something that's just overall better in quality?
I thought there was something made in Switzerland once available, but I cannot recall if they ever made it here to the States often, nor do I recall if they are still in production, or if they too were discontinued?
Does anyone have a suggestion or am I stuck with the plastic fine adjustment on my NOGA?
I guess it does the job, but man I'd sure love to have something made well, and made for life.

I remember having a catalog of a manufacturer of Noga-like indicator holders, which looked very well done. They even had little bellows over the ball joints to keep dirt out of the joints. It's been long enough that I can't remember the name or any other details - My impression is that it was european made, perhaps Swiss.

Older Nogas had metal where they are now plastic - maybe you can find a stash of old ones?

You might find one of the fine adjustment attachments to fit between your indicator and the Noga arm. I'd have to look, but believe that both Starrett and B&S made them.

Silly. Some are perfectionists, I guess. If so, though, nothing will satisfy. Noga's are very nice. If your only complaint is a plastic knob/screw... make your own replacement out of stainless. It reads like nit-picking since all the above linked bases---no matter what range---have a plastic knob. Sure, not that knob, but the other one. Likewise for other pieces on the assembly.

Silly. Some are perfectionists, I guess. If so, though, nothing will satisfy. Noga's are very nice. If your only complaint is a plastic knob/screw... make your own replacement out of stainless. It reads like nit-picking since all the above linked bases---no matter what range---have a plastic knob. Sure, not that knob, but the other one. Likewise for other pieces on the assembly.

It's not just the knob/screw that's plastic, the whole adjustment assembly is plastic, I have an older noga and that assembly is all metal and far superior in operation. I will not buy another noga whilst they are still using plastic.

I bought a Noga about a year ago, and it's all metal.

They have several different models. Perhaps the less-expensive ones use some plastic.

In any case, the only stress on that part is the weight of the indicator and the force applied to its sensing arm. It's not supporting a bridge crane.

- Leigh

They have several different models. Perhaps the less-expensive ones use some plastic.

In any case, the only stress on that part is the weight of the indicator and the force applied to its sensing arm. It's not supporting a bridge crane.

- Leigh

I'm not worried about the stress and it breaking, the metal one I have just operates better, smoother and with more sensitivity.

- Leigh

Man, what I'd give for this forum to have EMAIL NOTIFICATION of topic replies again, just as we had in the past! I mean, what does a guy have to do?

Hey Leigh,
I bought one of the most expensive NOGA's made, a few years ago, and it has the plastic fine adjustment at the very tip of the arm. Model # was NOGA MG61003.

I'm very curious. What model NOGA did you buy about "a year ago", which had the all metal fine adjustment/etc??? Would you mind checking it for me? How about a good close up pic or two of it?
I'd really appreciate it!

For email notification, go to the top of the thread. Click on "Thread Tools". Select "Subscribe to thread". It will take you to a page where you have the option for "Instant Email Notification" among others. That should keep you on track. If you want to stop receiving, go into your "User CP" also at the top of the page. From the list on your left, look under "Subscribed Threads".

For the record, I do not consider plastic a banned substance and believe it has appropriate uses with legitimate benefits.

You made me go investigate my Noga. I wonder if something more isn't going on here. I bought my base less than 6 months ago. The only plastic on it is the ON/OFF mag lever and the central, 7 lobed locking knob. Absolutely everything else is metal. The arm assembly is metal, the rotating junctions are metal, the indicator locking knob is metal. The base adjustment knob is metal. You get the point. I don't honestly know the model number, but I assure you I bought it brand new---not used. From MSC, IIRC.

DSCN3273.jpg
DSCN3276.jpg

[edit] Actually, I bought two: that and the model smaller. Both are the same. Grade 8.8 bolt on the central locking screw, even!

Last edited:
I really like the Mitutoyo 7019 hydraulic stand.

Amazon.com: Mitutoyo 7019, Magnetic Base with Hydraulic Position Lock for 3/8 and 8mm Stems, On/Off Switch, 132 Lbf Magnetic Pull: Industrial & Scientific

Not cheap, but locks up solid with a light twist of the knob.

And no wimpy plastic parts either...

We have one of these Mitutoyo bases at work. Although rigid enough, I find it much more cumbersome to use than a Noga. It's as if you need a third hand: one to hold the indicator where you want it, one to hold the middle elbow joint, and one to tighten the knob.

For the record, I do not consider plastic a banned substance and believe it has appropriate uses with legitimate benefits.

You made me go investigate my Noga. I wonder if something more isn't going on here. I bought my base less than 6 months ago. The only plastic on it is the ON/OFF mag lever and the central, 7 lobed locking knob. Absolutely everything else is metal. The arm assembly is metal, the rotating junctions are metal, the indicator locking knob is metal. The base adjustment knob is metal. You get the point. I don't honestly know the model number, but I assure you I bought it brand new---not used. From MSC, IIRC.

DSCN3273.jpg
DSCN3276.jpg

[edit] Actually, I bought two: that and the model smaller. Both are the same. Grade 8.8 bolt on the central locking screw, even!

I am curious about the fine adjustment on the bottom of the arm. Is it easy to set a zero?

My noga has a metal fine adjustment at the top of the arm. My only complaint would be that when using a 1" travel indicator, while dialing in a flame cut part on the lathe for example, the spring in the fine adjust is too weak allowing the indicator to move a lot. It can be overcome though by turning the chuck in reverse, or bottoming out the fine adjust which is fine with a 1" indicator.

I specifically wanted the base adjustment. It zero's very nicely. Especially with a test indicator (lever arm). For the dial indicator (plunger style like in my picture), you need to be aware that it can move the dial off-axis from the travel when zeroing to high precision... but I think all adjustable zero-set designs share that problem?

It works by a triangular plate. In the front is the knob with a fine pitch screw. It pivots on a ball bearing in each of the rear two corners. Somehow it is rigidly connected; though how, I'm not sure. You can pick it up by the arm, for example, without losing base adjustment. I've never had trouble with the movement wandering on mine.

Arthur Marks,
Thanks for your suggestion above on how to sign up for email notification, but I have been setup for instant email notification for years now.
I've checked and rechecked, and rechecked a hundred times. If I go up to the thread tools drop down menu at the top of this thread, there is only an option to "unsubscribe" to this thread, because I have the settings correct already.
Many guys on this forum are having the problem. Ever since this forum changed a couple/few years back, we lost all of our email notifications.
We have ALL settings including our email settings done correctly.
It's a forum flaw of some type. A good number of guys are experiencing this issue, and have been for years now, as have I.

Anyhow,
In regards to the NOGA's and plastic/metal parts. I am happy to hear you guys have all metal NOGA arms.
As I previously stated, the model I owned just a couple/few years ago, had a PLASTIC fine adjust assembly.
I had the model with the fine adjust/zeroing assembly located OUT AT THE TIP of the arm, and not at the base like Arthur Marks shown above.
Now it seems The Real Leigh up above has stated his NOGA is also an all metal unit, however he has not stated if he has the bottom/base fine adjustment (like Arthur Marks), OR if he has the fine adjust out at the tip, such as I had.
I would like to find out of anyone here has a NOGA unit with an ALL METAL fine adjust, located out at the tip of the arm???
Unless NOGA changed their design, I'm betting it's still plastic.
This is one of the most important parts, which should be made of metal, and not plastic, IMHO.
I am kind of interested in trying out one like Arthur Marks has shown above however. I've always wondered how the base fine adjust units compared to the tip fine adjust units???

BTW Arthur Marks, and Real Leigh,
Would you guys mind posting which NOGA models you guys have? I'd like to know, IF you can find out somehow? I don't recall if NOGA marks their units with the model #'s or not? (stupid for a company not to mark a tool with it's model #, but maybe I'm wrong, and mistaken about this?)

Back